Home Projects Services Yacht Sales Stockroom History Yawls Contact

The Concordian

Fall 1988, Issue #6


50th Renunion

If you were there then there's not much I can add. "Absolutely the most fun I've ever had," and "Incredible, absolutely mind boggling," were heard over and over. There's something incredibly moving, something indescribable about witnessing a gathering of Concordias. Until I arrived at Mystic Seaport on the evening of August 31st, I had never seen more than 5 Concordias in one gulp, and now, sensory overload! There, nestled in the north basin on the Mystic River, the Charles W. Morgan in the background, were 29 gleaming Concordias basking in the evening colors. Hank Bornhofft on MAGIC recognized the symptoms and came to my rescue. "We all went through this on the Maine cruse last year," he said. "The best thing to do is just sit down in the cockpit for a while and gaze into the warm glow of a Concordia cabin until you get your bearings, then you can begin to look around at the incredible beauty of all these vessels." That seemed to work but I must admit it still took a while. It was a good warm-up for what was to follow the next ten days.

September 1st was "Waldo Howland Day" at Mystic and the Howland flag was flying to honor his 20 very productive "post retirement" years on Mystic's board of trustees. I met Waldo that morning as he was walking up and down the wharf inspecting the fleet, greeting various owners old and new. Mystic also had a special open house for the Concordians which included an amazing behind the scene tour of their collection of 400 small boats and the Rosenfeld photo collection. There was a minor stir at the reception that evening as Seaport Director J. Revell Carr threatened to have the Mystic River bridge welded shut. "The north basin has never looked better adorned with all these lovely Concordias and we'd like to keep it that way." Waldo was signing copies of his anxiously awaited autobiography - volume 2 A Life in Boats: The Concordia Years recently published by Mystic Seaport. In the meantime Lisa Kenyon arrived breathlessly with Concordia Yawls: The First Fifty Years, which had come from the binders only hours before, along with commemorative sweaters and T shirts. In the spirit of the moment Dan Strohmeier proposed a toast: "To the 1938 hurricane, without which none of this would have happened."

The morning of September 2nd the fleet lined up for the 0900 opening of the Mystic bridge, threats of welds notwithstanding, and proceeded to the starting area for the race to Newport. The SE winds were light for the 1030 spinnaker start and ABACO was first out of the Fisher Island Sound and first into the ensuing hole. No doubt we were distracted by the superb lunch Dorothy Goldweitz was preparing. Soon the wind filled in nicely, 12-18 knots, for the 36 mile reach to Newport and in Class A (spinnakers) it was SONNET followed by OTTER, MATINICUS and HARRIER. Class B results: MALAY, TAMBOURINE, RAKA and SISYPHUS. In the best lunch category: ABACO. (New sails next season, Johnathan?) Several more Concordias arrived making for a total of 40 rafted up side by side in the Fort Adams basin. Again, the sight of all these yachts glowing in the setting sun was truly spectacular.

The Classic Yacht Regatta started at 1100 on September 3rd and the Concordia class had 27 yachts competing. Winds were light throughout the 25 mile race although it did pick up for a short time while 5 Concordias vied for room at the weather mark off Beavertail Pt. For a split second there was barely a hair's width between MATINICUS, ABACO and SISYPHUS as the wind and current caused a last minute change of plans though all escaped without harm and next thing we knew Lisa was dashing forward with stays'l tack in hand and MATINICUS surged ahead. The 12 meters had started after us and so for a short time we traded tacks with WEATHERLY which was quite interesting. HARRIER was the first Concordia followed by PRETTIROSE, OTTER, SONNET, PORTUNUS, MAGIC and ABACO. The Musuem of Yachting also had trophies. PRETTIROSE won the Benson Award for best in show, "The Concordia in such pristine condition it should be in a glass case." The Phoenix Award went to SAFARI for monumental restoration work. Several years ago she was seen in Gloucester as a bare hull and a pile of rubbish. And Best Concordia went to MATINICUS (Meticulous?) for "detailed and knowledgeable care." Congratulations to all! A rainy parade of classic yachts followed on Sunday and then the fleet cruised in company to Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Hadley's Harbor where, I understand, 20 Concordias rafted up in a line side by side.

Pandemonium hit Padanaram about noon on September 9th as MATINICUS lead the fleet to South Wharf in parade fashion. It took a great deal of cooperation and seamanship for RESOLUTE to get so many vessels stern to the wharf in the midst of all the excitement. There wasn't dockage for the entire group but within sight one could see 65 Concordias either tied up or on buoys nearby, certainly the largest gathering ever and the atmosphere was electric! Now for the roll call: JAVA, TABAKEA, VERITY, PAPJECCO, QUIET THUNDER, ABSINTHE, PHALAROPE, SAXON, CRESCENT, OTTER, STREAMER, HERO, STARLIGHT, NIAM, WILD SWAN, MARY ANN, SARAH, SAFARI, HARRIER, MIRAGE, SUNDA, MEMORY, MAGIC, YANKEE, NEFERTITI, WHITEWAVE, SISYPHUS, RAKA, ARIANDNE, HARBINGER, MOONFLEET, NJORD, BANDA, PRETTIROSE, EURIDYCE, KIVA, WHISPER, OFF CALL, SNOW BIRD, PRINCIPIA, TAM O'SHANTER, THISTLEDOWN, SONNET, LIVE YANKEE, BELLES, IRIAN, CROCODILE, WIZARD, PORTUNUS, MALAY II, MATINICUS, WESTRAY, ENVOLEE, CHRISTIE, ORIOLE, ARAPAHOE, RENAIASSANCE, SHIMAERA, WHITELIGHT, WHIMBREL, TAMBOURINE, MADIGRAL, HAVEN and ABACO. FEATHER was still under construction in the planer shed and LACERTA was ashore. Chris Bertetta and Ida Galliher came up from Miami representing TEMPO and FLEETWOOD, Mrs. Mason Smith - JAVELIN, Bill Rich from USVI - GOLONDRINA, Tom McInthosh from Chicago - MISTY, Gary Brown from Atlanta - PARAMOUR, and from Seattle, Stewart and Denny McDougall - KODAMA, Douglas and Susan Adkins - CORIOLIS, and Doug and DeMaris Cole - IRENE. It seems Al Brown and SUNDA came the greatest distance by boat, all the way from Savannah, GA. Past owners Bill Stetson and Herbert Toms were there as were many others I didn't meet.

There was serious racing to be done and on September 10 the fleet proceeded out to Buzzards Bay for a 1200 start. At the skippers meeting earlier veteran Dan Strohmeier was asked to comment on the currents: "It floods this way and ebbs that way." Queried if there were any local anomolies his reply was simply, "Oh yes!" Winds started off from the SE again so it was a spinnaker run to the first mark followed by increasing winds for the beat to the finish. OTTER was first followed by HARRIER, SHIMAERA and HARBINGER in Class I. In Class II it was WESTRAY, BANDA, PRETTIROSE and STREAMER. 50 Concordias participated and so many mizzen stays'ls haven't been together in years.

After the salt was cleaned off, sails folded and brass repolished, nearly 400 sailors gathered under the tent at the New Bedford Yacht Club for story telling, merrymaking and dinner. Brodie MacGregor thanked many of his senior employees at Concordia including Charlotte Whalen (27 years) and Alden Trull (47 years). The fleet presented a 50th birthday cake to JAVA, awards were given and speeches made, the most notable by Waldo Howland, summarizing why the Concordia has been such a lasting success: "First off, there's something about wood that makes you love your boat. The best materials combined with superb craftsmanship makes this a class that will last. A Concordia doesn't require a lot of sails. There's no room for them below anyway. They're a moderately fast boat and this is important because it's more essential to cruise at good spped than to race at good speed. The hull is forgiving, especially if you run over things, which seems to happen occassionally. (A few knowing chuckles from the crowd.) We put a mizzen on it so it would stay still until we were ready to go someplace and made the cabin low so the helmsman could see ahead. The Concordia was designed without regard to man made rating rules which always seem to change. Rather it was designed to get along with wind and water. Theses never change. A good number of Concordias have crossed the Atlantic so we figure it must be safe enough to go down to Maine."

Next day the final parade got underway and traditional Buzzards Bay weather prevailed with strong winds and heavy chop. The fleet managed a tight formation until 35 knot winds finally broke up the party, but no before thousands of pictures were taken. I watched from the comfort of Mark Goldweitz's 73' Rhodes motorsailor GLISSADE while enjoying hors d'oeuvres and letting his paid crew run the boat. Certainly the best view for watching the parade.

It was a great and very memorable Reunion and there was plenty of talk of the 75th. Thank yous must go to Elizabeth Meyer for organizing the events and for donating the Concordia Race trophies and to Concordia Company for donating the Reunion Plaques, wine and hors d'ouvres and the rental of the tents, tables, chairs, linen, etc. And my personal tanks as a guest to Jonathan, Dorothy and Mark Goldweitz, Fred and Calley Brooke, Bob Cross, Bob Gorman, Brodie, and Waldo and Katy Howland.

Now, if all this has faded from memory already not to worry. The 10 day Reunion and the Concordia story in general is being documented by Point Films and their 30 minute VHS video should be completed by mid November, just in time for... The documentary is about the Concordia yawl and the founder of the Concordia Company, Waldo Howland. The program will use the 50th Reunion as the jumping off point for an exploration of the history of the boat and the people associated with it. Original photographs and motion picture footage will complement interviews and narration. Examples of specific design decisions and described by Mr. Howland together with footage of work being done on FEATHER will be used to demonstrate why the yawl has proven so successful over the years. (The film project mentioned in the last Concordian was never funded. This is a totally separate undertaking and is currently undergoing editing.) A price is not yet available however order forms will be sent to you. For information contact: Eldon Scott, 223 E 89th St. Apt 3C, New York, NY 10028. (212) 876-8930 (H) or (212) 566-0496. There is much additional footage that cannot be used in the edited version. It will be possible to include footage of your Concordia at the end of the tape if you give Eldon your boat name and sail number.

And now, the Book. It's gorgeous! I won't even attempt a review, but if you don't have it yet then don't delay. Concordia Yawls: The First Fifty Years is something every Concordian will love and cherish, a sumptuous 330 page celebration of all things Concordian. Again, thanks to Elizabeth Meyer, Joe Gribbons, Peter Gow, Clare Cunningham and Lisa Kenyon for a superb publication. Concordia owners will be hearing from Dreadnaught Company soon about the supply of books, prints and apparel. Lots of commerative T shirts and some sweaters are left. Contact Lisa Kenyon at 32 Church St., Newport, RI 02840, (401) 849-3060.

Just prior to taking off for Mystic we returned from a month long, 1,100 mile circumnavigation around Vancouver Island in British Columbia on IRENE. It's a voyage I'd been planning for years but seemed to take forever for boat, time and crew (DeMaris, myself and the cat) to fall into place. It was well worth the wait. It took five long days of powering to reach Cape Scott at the north end and we pretty much sailed the entire distance back through five sounds and the outside. For one two week stretch we didn't see a single pleasure boat and for the most part had every anchorage to ourselves. Even in tiny isolated fishing villages people recognized and appreciated the Concordia lines. The salmon was plenteous and we were never without 2 or three fish on ice. This had been our first ocean sailing on IRENE and we were not disappointed. There is nothing that can compare to downwindsailing in 35 knots of wind in ocean swell on a seaworthly vessel such as a Concordia at a steady 8 to 9 knots. I think the smile is still etched in my face. We arrived home with just enough time for fall varnishing before heading to the Reunion.

New Owners

#31 CHOSEN (ex-Griffon) Now owned by Seth and Kenda Kohn of New Castle, PA.
#51 VINTAGE Now owned by John Foley of Port Townsend, WA.
#79 WESTRAY Now owned by J. Thomas Franklin of Cambridge, MA.
#93 PHANTOM Now owned by Tom Walz of Cumberland Foreside, ME.
#99 PORPOISE Now owned by David Palmer of Suffield, CT.

Ed Scheu did not sell OTTER as he was planning nor did the Fines sell ARAPAHO. We understand MALAY #2 (Lawley - 1939) is for sale and we finally located her in Florida. Lisa Kenyon has details. Also GOLONDRINA #65 and CHRISTINA #101 are for sale. We hear there is an anxious buyer for FEATHER #39 when she is rebuilt.

Fleet News

Eggemoggin Reach Regatta

Eggemoggin Reach Regatta - Lisa Kenyon, sailing aboard MATINICUS, reported that the thick fog which preceded the race in Brooklin, ME for days finally gave way to sunshine and 15-25 knot winds which lead to a screaming finish.. The race was well run and ended up with a great party at the WoodenBoat School. In the sloop division KATRINA was 7th - and winner of the Concordia Trophy - MOONFLEET 12th, CROCODILE 1th, MATINICUS 17th, MIRAGE 20th, WHITELIGHT 23rd, HALYCON 25th, NEFERTITI 28th, PHALAROPE 29th (33 boats in class.)

Classic Mariners Regatta

Classic Mariners Regatta - Port Townsend, WA - IRENE #103: first in class, first overall. ALLURE #87: second in class, third overall. (30 boats in the race.)

Sarah, #27

Bob Cross and Sue on SARAH #27 are heading south for an extended cruise and are currently passing through Beaufort, NC. They are planning to cruise for 2-3 years.

Toby Pett and Mark Webby in New Zealand

Toby Pett, regular crewmember on MAGIC, recently spent several days in New Zealand with Mark Webby who is building Concordia #104. This is no casual backyard project. His impression is that this will be an absolutely superior vessle, all the more so because of Mark's dedication and talent. Materials are first class and Mark has fallen and cut all his wood. The planking, all complete, is fastened with copper rivets. He lives at the building site and often puts in 16 hour days on the project.


Brion Toss, author of The Rigger's Apprentice

Most or all the original Concordias came with their standing rigging - 1 x 19 stainless - beautifully spliced around bronze thimbles. This was the case with Phil Brazeau's CANDIDE #39 which still had her original rigging after 30-some years. Since stainless fatigues over time, and since the marlin service on the splices was fossilized and flaking off anyway, Phil had me strip the splices clean for a good close look at the wire. I found everything to be in good order, with the exception of the lower end of the forestay, which was somewhat corroded. This was not surprising, since the forestay is most heavily loaded in this rig, and catches a lot of salt spray besides.

I replaced the forestay, splicing the new on around the old thimbles, and re-served all the other splices with nylon seine twine, which holds up better than marlin. But before re-serving, we took an additional step to back up the visual survey: destruction testing the old forestay and proof-testing the two other heavily strained wires, the aft leading lower shrouds. Destruction testing is just that - pulling on a wire until it breaks, and noting how many pounds of tension it was under when it let go. By comparing this figure with the rated strength of the wire of that diameter, construction and material, one can see how much the wire has been weakened by corrosion, kinks, fatigue or by poor splices, swages, etc.

In this case the forestay was a sacrificial lamb. We knew it was in considerably worse shape than the rest of the gang, but we wanted to know just how bad. The aft lowers came through unscathed. Since actual standing rigging loads on their boat will probably never exceed 30% of the wire's rated strength (that's because Concordia was prudent in its choice of wire sizes, and why dismastings are so rare in these hard-driven boats) that the Brazeau's can feel at ease with their rig for a while longer. The forestay broke at about 73% of the rated strength. This was certainly low enough to justify our decision to replace the piece. Based on previous destruction tests of goof new 1 x 19 splices, the new forestay exceeds the wire's rated strength. Because the wire will continue to weaken with age, it would be prudent to do another proof test in 3-5 years, and to do regular, careful inspections meanwhile.

It is important to note that CANDIDE has lived in relatively non-corrosive northern climes, (Maine and now the Northwest) and has only been sailed seasonally for most of her life. Thus ther's only 7-10 years of active, in the water use on the rig. As a rule of thumb, you can start getting nervous about stainless wire fatigue after 12 years of actual use in the North. Warmer climates are hard on stainless. In the tropics, corrosion and fatigue can beat you after only 5-8 years, depending on the alloy and maintenance.

The lesson here for Concordia owners is that they should treasure their original rigging if it is still aboard, but to bear in mind that the wire has a definite life span. When the time comes to replace it, choose the best wire you can, and put the strongest, most fatigue-resistant terminals on that you can get. I'm an unabashed propoent of 1 x 19 splices, but properly installed and toggled. Sta-Loks or Norseman's are also an excellent choice. Good rotary swages are cost-effective and adequate alongshore but I do not recommend them for cruisers.


Barry Light, New York, NY

The former owner had kept the boat in immaculate condition so as a new owner all the work is just ongoing maintenance. STREAMER has teak decks which we are sanding clean and of course there's the normal painting and varnishing. By we I mean my helper Andy Schaefer, son of a friend. A meticulous, careful teenager is a rare find and worth his weight in gold. In my non sailing life I am the General Manager of a NJ/NY real estate development company. Our centerpiece is a 2 mile long waterfront site in NJ on the Hudson River which includes a 300 slip marina. Any Concordians or their friends needing a berth on the Hudson can be accommodated! I have wanted a Concordia for 10 years and now have the prettiest boat in my harbor. The boat is docked in Huntington Harbor and I also have a mooring in Llyod Harbor. Any Concordia looking for a "mate" is welcome.

(STREAMER is a "Dolan" boat and displays some "designer touches" below as witnessed by many guests at the Reunion. We understand Barry plans to remove the mirrors and wallpaper and restore her to a more traditional Concordia finish. Definitely unique. Ed.)


Gary Brown, Jonesboro, GA

PARAMOUR, a 41, is our first boat. We had only 4 years of sailing experience when we found her in Annapolis in 1985. Although we live in Georgia, PARAMOUR is in Minnesott Beach, NC, on the Neuse River across from Cherry Point. It's a 10 hour drive from Atlanta but we've been making the drive about every other weekend for 3 years. Of course everyone in the marina thinks we're crazy - only crazy people would try to maintain a wooden boat from a distance of over 500 miles - one way!

We have not lacked for projects. She has steel floor "timbers" in the main salon so 3 water tanks could be stored under the cabin sole. Our first project was to remove these tanks so the bilge could be uncloged and the steel cleaned and treated. We stripped years of paint from the overhead and repainted. The toerails were stripped and revarnished. Those heat guns ARE great. We couldn't stand the apprehension of using a heat gun on the cabin canvas so used stripper there. After 8 months we finally got out sailing and the old Graymarine died which then entailed a 6 month installation of a Westerbeke 46 followed by one more sail before winter. By that time the varnish on the mast was cracking, so for the next 4 months we stripped and varnished again. Our current project is recaulking the deck a portion at a time and building a new full boat cover to protect the varnish from the Souther sun.

We've done a lot more sailing this past year and PARAMOUR's performance still amazes us - she moves through the water so easily and gracefully.


Bruce Flenniken, Cambridge, MA

Since I stay at the Concordia yard in the winter and have a mooring at Padanaram, I have numerous personalities to keep me informed (and hopefully on the straight and narrow) about PRINCIPIA. From Brodie and Gerry to assorted local owners, whom I am still meeting anew in my third season as an owner and caretaker of a 41, I am constantly updating my knowledge and appreciation of this boat. Still, the Newsletter lets me have a sense of connection even when I cannot get to the boat because of my silly habit of allowing my job to be a priority. Some day I will get everything in order and sail first, as it should be!


Jim McGuire, Noank, CT

Have you gotten over the effects of the Reunion yet? It was a great time - thought I was in Heaven. Enclosed is a CAD/CAM design plan done on an IBM PC/XT for the forward berth insert (canvas replacement) we talked about. Glad to send a copy to anyone interested. Also have enclosed several pictures of WILD SWAN leaving my yard which is 1/8 mile away and 80' above the sea. She was hauled about 2 miles down the road to the Mystic Shipyard and launched from a Travel Lift. Having WILD SWAN in my yard for the winter (Dec-May) is a tremendous convenience, especially for those short jobs after supper plus leaving tools & equipment aboard. No hassles with water or electricity and fewer people stopping by while you want to get something done... Not that I mind conversing with people about Concordias. I also find the boatyard storage fees to be more expensive than hauling her home.

(ABSINTHE, SAXON and PHALAROPE also live "at home" in the winter - what a luxury. Ed.)

Mr. Waldo Howland

South Dartmouth, MA

It is of interest that our Yawls are at this time receiving so much publicity. The 50th Anniversary no doubt warrants attention, but I also feel that Elizabeth Meyer has done much to bring these facts to magazine attention and the Concordian is doing its share too. All your news from individual owners is most interesting and worthwhile too, and brings to mind a point I have tried to emphasize in my Life in Boats, the Concordia Years. The point being to urge owners to consider the details of the standard Concordia before actually going ahead with changes that would appear to be improvements but do not always work out as such for the Concordias. Your comments on IRENE changes bring up a point to me. Roller reefing worked out well on POLARIS a "41" sloop with a long boom and no bridge deck. But on a yawl with bridge deck, the roller boom necessitating a sheet lead aft of the tiller had its disadvantages. My chapter shown in the Jan-Feb WoodenBoat tried to bring out the advantages of the JAVA main and mizzen sheet leads. It must be kept in mind that contrary to modern rigs, Concordias have a mast further forward, have a big main and a relatively small jib and genoa. The newer rigs are influenced by rules.

(I suspect most of you already have a copy but just in case, Part II of Waldo Howland's autobiography A Life in Boats may be ordered from Mystic Searport, 06335. $47.78 includes shipping. It's a tremendous collection of Concordia facts, photographs and recollections. Ed.)

Jonathan Erb

San Francisco, CA

Have you ever noticed the amazing energy that is created by the mere desire of small parts to bound, leap or launch themselves overboard? I pumped up the pressure in my alcohol tank but no alcohol was coming out of the stove burners. So I went to the tank, unscrewed the cap slowly, and it shot itself overboard. So fast that I didn't even see the smug little 'plop' as it broke the surface and escaped to the murky depths below. The worst of it is, have you ever noticed that when you want to throw something overboard, it never goes overboard. The left over sandwich hits the lifelines, the used match blows down onto the deck. And then, when you want to pollute, the damn things float! I tossed a leaking ballpoint overboard and the stupid thing went bobbing off across the bay like some Nico/Fico nightmare, complete with an ink slick.

Maintenance Department

Stembolt and Keelbolt Replacement

The subject of stembolts and keelbolt replacement received much attention at the Reunion and I spoke with Peter Costa, Concordia's carpenter shop foreman (he's the one carving the star on FEATHER in the painting) about his experiences with these. 30 years is generally the lifespan of keel bolts and one should consider precautionary replacement. The iron bolts tend to decay in the area where they pass through the oak keel, a result of the acidic quality of that wood. A sign is weepage from an unkown source or the entire bold turning when the nut is turned.

When a boat comes in for keelbolt repair he will block the boat extra high as the bolts will be driven out the bottom. The keel itself should be blocked secureley as no movement or separation is wanted. Typically he finds the forward keelbolts in worse shape and beins with those under the maststep by boring a 1 1/2" through the maststep for access. The nut is backed off slightly and the gap between nut and backing plate carefully measured. Outside, the 2 " wood plug in the keel bttom is removed and the bolt head located. Several blows are delivered to the nut and hopefully a corresponding movement is noted outside as well. If not, the bolt is broken and the head must be tapped from the bottom with a 5/16" thread and withdrawn with a slide hammer.

This type of complication is incentive enough for early replacement. If it's not broken, just keep hammering away, backing the nut off until the threads disappear. Sometimes an impact hammer is user. The original bolts are metric. The forward bolts will be replaced with 1/2", the aft with 7/8". To accept these the iron keel must be bored out to the next clearance size, 33/64" and 53/64". Concordia uses T-113 stainless propeller stock which they have machined nearby.

(Giffy Full recommends monel as it is easier to machine and unquestionably non-corrosive. The cost differenct in the end is negligible. Monel was used in IRIAN this year.)

After measuring, the ends are threaded and a nut welded to the lower end and formed to match the head on the old bolt. Cotton wicking is wrapped around the head and loaded up with Interlux Natural Bedding Compound and then the bolt is driven into place. The backing plate is replaced with a 4 x 4 x 1/4" piecee of stainless and the 3/4" nut tightened. Estimated labor involved: two carpenters per day per bolt. Are we having fun yet?

A sure sign of broken stem bolts is weeping on either side of the stem. The German bronze was heated and peened to form the head of the bolt and it is the head that generally breaks. Again, 30 years is a typical lifespan but these are much easier to replace, in fact the whole job can be done in one day. Peter said it typically takes more time to clean out the forward cabin of the owner's "stuff" than it does to do the bolt work. The stem should be well supported. One at a time, the bolts should be replaced by removing the outside bung and driving it rhough from the inside and then replaced with 1/2" bronze carriage bolt, the head being wrapped with cotton wicking and loaded with bedding compound. These should be hand tight only where the keel bolts should be very tight.

On refastening planks, Peter uses 16 x 2 as replacements for the original 14 x 2. He commented that he has never seen a laminated frame break on a Concordia. As for cleaning up rusty and pitted iron keels, he uses air-drive needle scaler and then fairs things up with epoxy filler and primer.


At the Reunion we all saw the results of many projects and as Concordias enter their next 50 years more projects will need attention. Several owners have used the Newsletter as a forum to share what they have learned and we all welcome the information. Redecking is no small chore and a number of different approaches are evident. Al Brown on SUNDA completely removed, remilled and replaced this teak deck. Jesse Bontecou on HARRIER just had new teak decks installed using pre-cut strips, a method we'd like to hear more about. Steve Loutrel on LACERTA, Dick Zimmerman on SAFARI and Doug Colr on IRENE recovered with Dynel and epoxy. Dan Beard on PHALAROPE just put on new deck canvas so you can see, there's several ways to do things with equal success and each of these owners I'm sure would be happy to share what they've learned. After looking at Dick and Lisa's scrapbook it doesn't look like anything was left untouched bringing SAFARI back to life.

In the Press

Again Concordias graced the covers and pages of various magazines this year. CORIOLIS was on the cover of Sailing in May and SOVEREIGN and IRENE wer on the cover of Cruising World in May. Town & Country did a story on last year's Maine cruise in the July issue. Hank Bornhofft promises a story on this year's Maine cruise and big plans for the 1989 cruise, which may include ENDEAVOUR, in the spring Concordian. Rumor also has it that Sailing is working on a story of the 50th Reunion.