Home Projects Services Yacht Sales Stockroom History Yawls Contact

The Concordian

Issue #49, Spring and Fall 2010


Margo Geer

From the Editor's Desk

Margo Geer

I've been late getting the newsletter out before, but a year behind is an all-time record. Various things plagued me all year - a new computer and software upgrades and a resulting loss of contacts was the largest or most time consuming setback. Although I went through the emails on the old computer almost line by line, I still feel like I may have missed some contributions. Rather than explain that and move forward with what I had, I kept thinking that I'd have time to go back through things again. In hindsight I obviously should have gotten the spring issue out and then included any pictures or missed submissions in the fall issue.

I also don't know how on earth I got as busy as I have. Last year saw me taking on several tasks with our yacht club, including running the sailing program and I just don't know where the time went to. There wasn't a week that went by that I didn't try to carve out some time to work on the newsletter, but weeks turned into months and the whole year got away from me.

Also, as many of you know, with the heaviest of hearts I listed Sarah for sale. We barely used her (less than 12 sails in 2009) and by mid-2010 we had only left the dock twice. Having to admit that to my Concordia friends also contributed to me dragging my feet with the newsletter.

What you have in your hands now is a double issue. The spring issue was 90% ready to go, but for some fine tuning with the spacing and the like. I have added a few items that came in over the summer and fall so that 2010 does not go without a newsletter.

John Eide, long-time owner of #65 Golondrina has agreed to take over the Concordian beginning immediately. You should be hearing from him shortly. For your records, he can be reached as follows:

John Eide
P.O. Box 5005
Portland, ME 04101
(207) 838-6760
[email protected]

Please take a moment to reach out to John and make sure that he has good contact information for you. I had begun to get quite a few emails bouncing back, and his job will be made easier by everyone's cooperation. Also, submissions have dwindled in the past couple of years. Please make a renewed promise to get John some material to publish in 2011. Doug Cole started this on his typewriter in February of 1986, and it grew under his hand until he handed the reins to Skip Bergmann. I took over from Skip in the spring of 2004. Each of us has heart, body, soul and a ton of time into the project, and the newsletter has continued to be a wonderful communication tool between the owners and other interested parties. John has several ideas already in the works and is looking forward to making the newsletter an even more valuable resource.

As for me, I will just keep hoping that some miracle occurs and that I suddenly have the time (and resources) to take care of Sarah in the fashion that she deserves. The more likely alternative is that she will sell - to someone with not just the time and resources, but with fresh hopes and dreams for her. Thinking about her sailing away is almost too much to bear, but they will have a bit of a time getting off the dock with me clinging to the transom....

In the event that this is the last that that you hear from me, please know that the decade that I have owned Sarah has been the richest of my life largely because I was blessed and privileged to have stumbled upon a Concordia . The friendships made, the travels, the sailing, the Concordia family, and each and every one of you has made this something that I wouldn't trade for the world. There simply aren't enough words out there to express my gratitude. Regardless of where we are in our boating lives, you are all my friends.




Concordia Company

www.concordiaboats.com 508-999-1381

Concordia Boatyard is preparing the fleet for 2010. Concordia Yawl projects include a new deck for Summer Wind (#97) and stripping/refinishing following frame repairs on bright Luna (#88). Concordia Yacht Sales has added several great listings (http://www.yachtworld.com/concordia/) For more and current information about Concordia, please follow us on Facebook ("Concordia Boatyard") or check our website. www.concordiaboats.com

Concordia Concordia Concordia


Whaling Museum to Exhibit World's Largest Model of a Concordia Yawl



The world's largest scale model of a Concordia Yawl will be exhibited in the New Bedford Whaling Museum's Jacobs Family Gallery, free to the public.

The one-third scale model was built by Tom Borges, a local artist, sculptor and ship's carpenter, in his New Bedford studio over the course of seven years. Begun early in 2003, Borges constructed the model from scratch using Concordia plans together with his own meticulous drawings and measurements, taken at the Concordia Boatyard, located in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts.

In announcing the special exhibit, James Russell, museum president, said, "The Whaling Museum is famous as the home of the world's largest ship model, Lagoda, so it is fitting that the world's largest model of an equally famous and locally built boat, the Concordia Yawl, also be displayed here."

With the mast stepped the boat stands 22-feet tall (keel to masthead) in its custom cradle. With miniature bronze fittings and its 200-pound lead keel, the hull measures 15 feet, 2 inches long; its beam, 44" across.

The metal and bronze fittings were hand-made in a multistep process by cutting the major elements on a table saw, TIG welding components together, then grinding, filing and polishing each fitting. To fabricate cylindrical parts, Borges utilized a metal lathe in the mechanical department of Burr Brothers Boatyard in Marion, where he works as a ship's carpenter during the spring and summer months. Most of the progress on the model took place in the off-season, he said.

By his reckoning, Borges has worked in the repair and carpentry department at Burr Brothers for the past 13 or 14 years, and never as a boat builder. A Mattapoisett native and 1995 graduate of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Borges studied Fine Arts, majoring in Sculpture. His Cove Street studio, located deep within the former Berkshire-Hathaway Mill complex is as remarkable as the 22-foot high Concordia, which stands landlocked within his cramped but well-lighted atelier. The walls and floors are papered with myriad works of Borges' art. Numerous portraits and figure studies in charcoal and Conté crayon cover the periphery of a studio crammed with sculpture, paintings, and countless objects of natural study and nautical interest. Heaps of books on fine art lie stacked about on the floor and serve as much for reference as they do for tables to hold palettes, brushes and tools.

"I've always been interested in models," Borges said, pointing to a glass case containing his first attempt, a flawless scale model of a Brownell Bass Boat, which he also built from scratch in 2003.

With his first model completed, Borges decided he wanted to build something bigger, and just big enough to actually sail. This required the model be constructed with all working parts. "In theory, all the parts are meant to work," Borges said. A snug pilot seat built into the miniature cabin at the bottom of the companionway allows for the model to be skippered by a set of controls from below decks, with a head-and-shoulders view of the exterior. Two jammers on the starboard side control the main and jib sheets. The single portside jammer controls the mizzen sheet. A lever and cable on the starboard side controls the tiller. Smiling, the reticent artist added, "I would consider myself far from a sailor; I know how to sail but I wouldn't call myself a sailor. I've always liked boats and I like to build things." None of his models have ever been made on commission. "I get an idea in my head and I just keep going; I make them and they end up staying here," he said.

As the Concordia model began to dominate his small studio, Borges wondered what it might be worth. He contacted a ship model dealer in Marblehead, who responded that he could not appraise a model as large as this one, but referred the artist to several experts on large ship models as well as on Concordia history, including Llewellyn Howland III, a Trustee of the Old Dartmouth Historical Society (ODHS) and Whaling Museum. A writer and historian, Howland reviewed photos of the model then called Borges and contacted James Russell, Whaling Museum President. Russell, former head of the International Yacht Restoration Society (IRYS), visited Borges' studio with John Garfield, ODHS Chair, and Calvin Siegal, Museum Advisory Committee Chair. "We were blown away by the remarkable workmanship and level of detail. We determined that this extraordinary work should be made available for the public to see," Russell said. Dr. Gregory Galer, V.P. Collections & Exhibitions, and Frances Levin, Collections Committee Chair, also visited the artist.

The New Bedford Whaling Museum is the world's most comprehensive museum devoted to the global story of whales and whaling. The cornerstone of New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, the Museum is located at 18 Johnny Cake Hill in the heart of the city's historic downtown and is open daily. For a complete calendar of events, visit the Whaling Museum online at www.whalingmuseum.org. Join the Museum's online community at:



Kersten Prophet, Keil, Germany

Fleetwood is back in the water since March 27th!

What an amazing winter. We had snow from the December 16 until March 16! And we had ice in the Kiel Fjord. Such a winter we haven't had in a couple of years. In winter storage we had minus degrees centigrade for the whole January and February. That was very bad regarding my plan to renew the deck canvas. As a consequence I decided to renew only the foredeck and not the complete deck. The foredeck was the area with problems that allowed water to come in at the forward corners of the cabin during sailing. While dismantling the old canvas I found an area of approximately 2 sq feet wet below the canvas at the starboard side. From there it seems the water uses to flow at the fwd front end of the cabin to the other side....bad luck. On the other hand I found the canvas at the cabin sides in a good condition for another one to three years. Finally I decide to renew only to renew the foredeck and a little bit at the sides. Good decision with respect to the working conditions in the unheated storage hall.

Concordia #20 Fleetwood Concordia #20 Fleetwood

To work on the boat I build a partly plastic shed above the foreword half of the boat and installed a gas heater (picture 1). The new cover is built of three layers of glass with epoxy resin. This makes the same thickness as the canvas before. Before starting with the laminating work I had to repair some small wood areas damaged by the water. As well I had to rework the corners of the cabin. I did this with some slats (picture 2).

Concordia #20 Fleetwood

From now on I believe Fleetwood has a water-tight fore cabin! The rest of the work was done in a hurry: bottom paint, some polishing of the hull topsides, some varnish work to be finished later in the water and lots of dust cleaning.

Concordia #20 Fleetwood Concordia #20 Fleetwood

My plans for the summer are the following: May 22nd.: Classic Race Neustadt; June 4th.-5th. 24-hours sailing; June 18th.-19th Kiel Week Classic Race with party in the British Kiel Yacht Club (as every year); summer vacation with the family in July and August; and last but not least August 21th German Classics in Laboe.

All the best -



J. Arvid Klein & Cynthia Crimmins, Darien, CT

The Concordia yard will launch Winnie this Friday, April 23rd. We will bring her down from Padanarum in easy legs: Pt. Judith, Stonington, Essex and Darien. We will be doing the Marblehead to Rockland Race July 24-25 and it would be nice to have some company. As it turns out the Noroton YC has scheduled their cruise in Maine and it connects almost perfectly with the conclusion of the race. There will be a weeks bumming around and then the NYYC cruise also in Maine with two days of racing. We will ease our way back to Darien the end of August.

Something of interest: Indian Harbor Yacht Club - Greenwich, CT, is putting together a Classic Yacht Regatta and is hoping for a Concordia start. That would be Saturday, September 18th preceded by a reception Friday evening. There are five Concordias in western Long Island Sound, but more would be great.

Concordia #11 Winnie of Bourne

I am working with Harken to develop a bronze main sheet traveler that may have some interest to the fleet. Harken indicates that there will be economy in scale - say three or more units. A detailed design and prices will be available shortly. The traveler: a bronze track set at the aft edge of the bridge deck running from coaming to coaming. There would be a double bronze block at either end of the track with a continuous line allowing control of a bronze car that would carry a double or triple block with becket and came cleat. WINNIE OF BOURNE has a 6:1 mainsheet but I am contemplating going to a 4:1 with a 3:1 tweaker. The traveler block would not be included but rather left to the particular installation. The car that carries the block would be included. Please contact me at [email protected] for additional information.

Last summer in Maine was glorious. Three weeks and only a little fog one day, and I'm positive we were in Maine. The Noroton YC, Darien CT, and the New York YC had their cruises in Maine one week apart. Charlie and Sally Stone joined the Noroton YC Cruise with their Concordia ARIADNE. Before folding into the NYYC Cruise we entered the Eggamoggin Reach Regatta. Of nine Concordias in a division of some 22 boats we were the second Concordia to finish 35 seconds behind allure. The NYYC had a CRF division for the first time, and we had some great competition with FIDELIO featured on the cover of Wooden Boat Magazine. In four races we finished first once and second to FIDELIO's first three times. On the cruise was Dick Taylor with SNOWY OWL and Quinine Foster made an appearance with her new acquisition: MISTY. We had a blast!



Peter Castner & Crew, Boxford, MA


At the end of the last sailing season, we basically took everything off of OFF CALL that was not mechanically fastened to the boat. Man that's a lot of stuff. You know the drill: first the bunk cushions and all the glass ware, the paper goods, moldy old books, safety gear, 2 tool boxes and 2 canvas bags of tools (and I don't do my own mechanical work), what seems to be a complete Gray engine in spare parts, all of the stuff that Dave Van Ness says I should have just "in case," fishing equipment, fans, canvas doohingys, 6 face masks, 11 swim fins...canned food and booze sufficient for an Army. It just keeps coming out like a torrent. What mad man packed all of this, now seemingly, (un)necessary stuff below?

This winter we engaged the very capable and talented crew at Rockport Marine for a repaint of the entire below, which included varnishing all bulkheads and painting the bunktops. We also regalvanized the pipe berths, repainted the overhead(s)...you get the idea; you do a few maintenance jobs in one area and something else stands out. From what I've seen so far, she looks pretty darned good.

OFF CALL hit the water around April 19th, which is a full month ahead of schedule for us. Spars got installed this past weekend.

I must say the new Harken roller furler we just added sure has me excited. We lived with a bulky, "antique" Hood roller for over 20 year and it was taking two men to furl in our Genny. It was becoming a lottery system to see which "victim" was going to be awarded the unheralded duty of yanking the jib in when required. Lots of choice words were exchanged on how much drag was truly necessary to have one maintain on the sheet whilst the victim was pulling her in. It sometimes took several attempts to get it tight enough so that it did not look just absolutely pathetic...so that's all now in our rear view mirror.

So.... Lots of paint and varnish inside and out this year. OFF CALL is sparkling right now tied up to the floats at Rockport Marine. What a nice sight! The gray hull color stands out nicely amongst her neighbors in the pricturesque little harbor. OFF CALL is in fine Company with DJAKARTA, IRIAN and ALLURE (all recently launched and in various stages of: rig install, tuning, commissioning). All of the Concordias look pristine and at home in the water after a long Winter on land.

Spring surely seems to have come early this year to New England. I wish you all fair winds and a wonderful season of Sailing and Cruising.



Rob DesMarias, Clinton, AR

The romance has died - it is now tough love time.

Pictures would be disheartening for those of you putting on some final coats of varnish and paint looking forward to an early spring launch and summer cruising plans. Looking through my journal, I felt like I was seeing little progress since last fall. So I remedied that with a new plan - GUT HER and buy a Fein MultiMaster (accomplished) to cut those pesky screws...

As she stands today the main cabin is totally gutted with only the engine remaining. In addition to the above deconstruction, I have removed the cockpit seating, fuel tank, winches, winch pads and combing with only the sole remaining.

The bow decking is removed with only deck timbers present. The covering board is removed to admidships along with the sheer plank and the next lower plank to get to the ribhead/deck beam joint.

The Plan (in order): Remove remaining toe rail at stern, coverning board, all decking, top two rows of planking, prop shaft, rudder, deadwood, engine, pop cabin top and remove cockpit sole. Re-assess! Start replacing stuff! Romance returns!

For the not so faint of heart:


RAKA #43

Greg Crockett, Essex, MA

Concordia #43 Raka Concordia #43 Raka
Left: RAKA maiden sail Padanaram. (1956)
Right: RAKA in route from West Boothbay Maine to Manchester Mass with Dick Zimmerman (#28 SAFARI). (2007)

Concordia #43 Raka Concordia #43 Raka
Left: CROCODILE & RAKA keeping each other company. (2007/2008)
Right: After new deck & cockpit. (2010)

Concordia #43 Raka
Worker bees. (2009/2010)


Fond Memories of Jim Brown

From John Eide

Readers - As many of you are aware, Jim Brown, SONNET's owner since 1968, passed away in April. What follows is a submission from John Eide in response to my request for those of you who shared the waters with Jim over the years to share your memories. As you will see from the obituary on page 12, Jim had many other facets in addition to his love of all things Concordia.


I first met Jim Brown in 1996 at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta, where Sonnet beat Golondrina, but it wasn't until the next day, when the Concordia fleet sailed over to Alida Camp's on Blueberry Hill for cocktails, where I really got to know him. My crew deserted me that morning so I was sailing solo. As we entered Morgan Bay, I noticed Sonnet ahead of me, so I tweaked and trimmed and did whatever I could to get every fraction of a knot out of the old girl. Jim was oblivious to me creeping up on his stern until I was within about four boat lengths. At that point the race was on. Orders were barked, sails trimmed and he also wrung whatever he could out of Sonnet. His large genny, as opposed to my working jib, made the difference so he got to Alida's first to pick up the last guest morning, a fair trophy for the winner. As I stepped ashore after anchoring, Jim was second in line after Alida to welcome me, curious about this newcomer who gave him a run for his money. During our conversation, I mentioned that I grew up sailing E Scows in Minnesota, which seemed to validify my credentials.

Our next meeting was in Padanarum for the 50th reunion. Among other topics, he picked my brain about all the yards in Maine specializing in wooden boats since Sonnet needed some serious work after many years of Bermuda, Halifax and Storm Tri-sail racing. I was honored, but a bit taken aback, that Jim, one of the grand old men of the Concordia fleet, was asking me, a newbie, where he should get major surgery done on his boat. But, he trusted me, and that was one of the characteristics of Jim Brown that I grew to appreciate.

When my crew deserted me, due to a serious job offer, on the way to the Caribbean in 1998, I called Jim to see if he'd like to join me for the leg from Nassau to St. John, USVI. It took him about 5 seconds to agree. Unfortunately, the airline lost his baggage, and in the time it took to find his gear, our weather window shut tight for the long passage, which meant we were relegated to two weeks of island hopping through the Bahamas. But having Jim aboard was an incredible treat. Always ready with a bawdy limerick or an off- color joke, what I found amusing was that the jokes were always cued by some event that was happening around us - a cloud shape, an island profile, a boating quirk - and while the joke might not be "appropriate," the situation certainly was appropriate.

One evening we celebrated his 69th birthday so I broke the basic Golondrina rule "He who cooks does not clean" and did both. As I finished the dishes, Jim said "I can see a moon of Jupiter." Being subjected to a few days of his jokes, I wasn't' sure how I should respond to this comment, so I waited for the punch line. Instead, it was "Hand me the binocs." Sure enough, his aging eyes were sharp enough to spot one of the moons just abutting Jupiter.

In Staniel Cay, I was again doing dinner as Jim was readying the dinghy to go ashore. I heard a large splash, followed by "John, help me!" I saw nothing as I went on deck, looked around and got a cranky, "Down here, take this" as he held the outboard up to me. Now, Jim wasn't a small man. He was tall, muscular, I'm sure in his youth, and he was the reason for the large splash. Being used to an inflatable, rather than my hard Dyer, he stepped off the deck, outboard in one hand, on to the gunwale. What works for an inflatable, doesn't work on a Dyer. But, he held on to the OB, so he had his priorities straight. Getting Jim on deck was not as easy. Dinner was delayed as we stripped the OB in an attempt to get it dried out and working again. I certainly learned how small, two cycle Japanese OBs are put together and how they work.

I eventually got to St. John, but not with Jim. We sailed together again at the Antigua Classic Regatta in April of 1999. Jim and Edgar Crocker came down with two friends so Jim could be my crew and tactician during the three days of racing. I really appreciated having such a knowledgeable sailor/racer aboard since I could concentrate on boat speed as he worked out the start, our position relative to the competition and scouted out the future course. Golondrina's trophy was as much Jim's doing as mine.

In the early 00s Jim was diagnosed with stomach cancer. He licked the cancer although the cure devastated his body, but he fought back. Sonnet was launched every year but some summers he was only able to motor around Oyster Bay or go aboard just to sit. I felt Sonnet's presence was a major reason for his recovery, perhaps equal to the nurturing support of his four sons, their wives and his grand kids.

Golondrina did not go in one summer so Jim kindly invited me to be his guest for an IYRS cruse in Maine. I knew the real reason was that he could no longer sail Sonnet solo. When I met him in Oyster Bay, I hadn't seen him for a few years (He rejected my offers of visits to his home because he didn't want me to see him in bad shape.) and I really wondered if he could even be a passenger on a boat. However, as the days went by, I saw him increase in strength and his whole mood lighten. When we made landfall at the mouth of Penobscot Bay after a 24 hour straight shot from the Cape Cod Canal, I knew I did not have to worry about him. His ex-wife Karen, son Jim and a friend of mine joined Sonnet in SW harbor and we had a delightful week of cruising in company with the IYRS fleet including three days of racing, ending with the ERR.

We consumed enough bacon, at least a pound every day, to boost Hormel stocks. My friend and I decided that since we were Jim's guests on this trip, we'd do all the galley work. Carrie is a long time vegetarian and Sonnet is fueled by meat, lots of red and cured meats. But she survived in spite of frying up much of that bacon. I made sure we had a big salad for each and every meal.

Those of you who know Jim know that the first item to go aboard after launch is SPAM. Lots of SPAM. There's fried SPAM for breakfast, sliced SPAM between bread for lunch, diced SPAM with cheese and crackers for hors d'oeuvres. His love of SPAM comes from growing up on Hawaii where about half of the SPAM Hormel produces is consumed. He knows the entire history of SPAM, the variations Hormel has produced over the years, the difference in the cans for Hawaiian consumption vs. stateside consumption - more than any one person should know about this processed meat byproduct. Needless to say, he could recite SPAM limericks and has books devoted to SPAM humor. We almost did a road trip to Austin, Minnesota, the home of Hormel, to visit the SPAM museum, one of his unattained Meccas.

That IYRS cruise was the last time I sailed with Jim. When we tied Sonnet up in Newburyport, three weeks later, Jim was a different person - stronger, more agile, able to sail his boat without much help from me. That fall he got a new suit of sails and started racing again, successfully, in a fall classic series near Oyster Bay. Sailing IS the best therapy.

I feel fortunate to have known and sailed in company with Jim Brown for the past 15 years. My seamanship certainly grew by watching him, drawing on his vast sailing experience and chasing Sonnet's transom until I could turn the tables and watch him chase Golondrina's. But it wasn't just sailing or his keen wit. We had many serious discussions about politics, contemporary society, the science behind his career as a Leitz science representative, and more. It's the depth and breadth of his knowledge that I will fondly remember. Jim has left a big wake for us to follow, but a wonderful one for all of us to sail in.


James Brown

Fair winds Jim ...fair winds...



Margo Geer, St. Augustine, FL

As many of you are aware, 2010 began a sad period for SARAH. After many years of dedicated work and the final push to launch, paint and rig, I found I was too busy to do much sailing. After consulting with a number of trusted sources, including Brodie, SARAH was listed for sale last spring. It is my sincere hope that someone will come along with the time and enthusiasm to finish the little that remains of the interior work, and then get her out sailing. She is a superb vessel with all structural work completed. Until someone comes along, she sits high and dry at St. Augustine Marine, while her new canvas, sails and other gear take up space in my garage. My sincere hope for 2011 is that she's back in the water and sailing this summer.

Concordia #27 Sarah

As always, if your travels ever bring you to or through St. Augustine, please give me a call.


ABACO #103

Jon & Dorothy Goldweitz

Dear fellow Concordia owners and friends,

We are sure many of you have heard by now about the tragic electrical fire that severely damaged Abaco in June. Dorothy and I sincerely appreciate all the concern expressed by of those who have contacted us.

Despite significant fire damage to the cockpit, aft end of cabin house, hatches, deck and spars, Abaco's hull is structurally sound. She is under the excellent care of John Leonard (owner of Cove Landing Marine in Lyme, CT), and he has developed a comprehensive restoration plan. As a project of this scope will take some time, Dorothy and I are searching for another vessel aboard which to continue our retirement cruising plans. We are also looking for that "special person" who may want to be Abaco's next owner and restore her to her former beauty while customizing many of her systems.

We do have some Concordia gear that was not aboard or is completely undamaged by the fire. We would be interested in selling these items at significantly less than original cost. The list includes:

  1. Winter cover and frame built by Miller Marine Canvas in 2009 and used one winter
  2. Several sails (for 39' masthead yawl): 150% Banks #1 jib (used about a dozen times for racing only), 140% HRR roller-furling #2 jib (very good condition, with luff pad), storm jib (never used), 3⁄4 oz. Halsey spinnaker (used for about twenty races), and mizzen stays'l
  3. Mahogany swim ladder with bracket to attach to genoa track (refinished winter 2010)
  4. Four Concordia pipe berth mattresses (the two for main cabin custom made with latex, cotton, and wool 1" layers in 2007)
  5. Dyer 7'11" sailing dinghy bought in 1997 with new rub rail in 2009, barely used rig and sail, Shaw & Tenney oars, and near-perfect bright work

If you have any interest in these items, please contact us and we can provide specs, photos, etc. We look forward to seeing our Concordia friends on the water next season.

Jon & Dorothy



Tony & Noel Harwell, Palatka, FL

ACTAEA is currently on a mooring in Palatka, FL where she is used quite frequently on the St. Johns River. We plan to haul out soon to install her new engine and give her a fresh coat of paint. She will then be brought to St. Augustine where she will have the opportunity to venture out instead of being landlocked. It has been cold here in Palatka for the last 2 years and we finally got the wood stove installed and working. It does a great job of keeping her nice and toasty down below.

Concordia #17 Actaea Concordia #17 Actaea Concordia #17 Actaea Concordia #17 Actaea

ACTAEA could use a new mainsail to fit her rig along with a galley pump and head sink pump. If anyone has or knows of one that is available, please let me know.

Mainsail: Luff 45'0" / Foot 21'0"

Tony Harwell


James D. Brown, Jr.

December 13, 1929 – April 19, 2010

James D. Brown, Jr., of Syosset, died peacefully at his home on 19 April 2010, after a series of medical setbacks.

Jim was born in the Hawaiian Islands December 13, 1929, the son of James Davidson Brown of Scotland, and Jessie Evans of Kansas. A graduate of Punahou School in Honolulu, he then attended Haverford College in Pennsylvania, and married Karin Anne Brinkmann, of Manhasset, shortly after graduating. Jim spent his working career with Brinkmann Instruments, which was based for many years in Westbury. He served as a sales rep in Pennsylvania and Houston, Texas, before moving to Syosset with his family in 1963 to become a vice president of the company. Jim remained in this position until his retirement in 1994.

Having been raised in Hawaii, Jim developed a love for the water, and sailing became an integral part of his life. After having acquired what became the family's beloved sailboat "Sonnet", a 41-foot Concordia sloop, Jim became very active in yacht racing and the Sagamore Yacht Club. With his four sons as the core of his crew, Jim sailed Sonnet in many local and ocean races. These included events such as numerous Block Island Races and Race Weeks, Vineyard Races, 12 Marblehead-to-Halifax Races, and 4 Newport-to-Bermuda Races. A frequent top-finisher in these races, "Sonnet" earned her highest accolades as the overall winner of the 1979 Halifax Race.

A man of literary passions as well, Jim was known to quote lengthy passages of his favorite poets, Keats and Shelley, off the top of his head, an ability that lasted to his final days. Jim also had a penchant for bawdy limericks, so no literary snob was he! An avid and highly skilled bridge player, Jim made a name for himself in this regard within local circles and passed his love of the game on to his sons. His habit of playing sound tracks of popular Broadway musicals on Sunday mornings inculcated a love of these shows in his sons as well -- among his favorites were Chicago, Guys and Dolls, The Pajama Game, and Brigadoon.

Jim will also be remembered as a warm-hearted and generous friend -- to colleagues, subordinates, sailing comrades, mutual friends of Bill, those who knew him as a result of working on and around his house, and his beloved college pals.

Jim is survived by his four sons: James D. Brown III, of Hampton, New Hampshire; Charles A. Brown, of Essex, Connecticut; Douglas Wood Brown, of Lewisburg, West Virginia; and Stuart Kim-Brown, of Berkeley, California. He is also survived by his sons' collective eight grandchildren and his long-time companion and ex -wife, Karin.


Closing news and notes

If you haven't already, be sure to reach out to John Eide with your current contact information. It is vital to his ability to take the newsletter to the next level. His email is: [email protected] / Phone: (207) 838-6760

Jan Rozendaal — #49 MOONFLEET — is considering having his decks replaced by TDS (Teak Decking Systems) he asks anyone that has been through this or a similar process to contact him at [email protected]

I have a private party that has a copy of Elizabeth Meyer's 50th anniversary book and the Nautical Quarterly #22. They can be reached at [email protected]

Darrow Lebovici — #70 IRIAN — is going to be replacing his mizzen mast and is looking for a replacement. Anyone with ideas or information can contact him at [email protected]

I have two complete copies of the Concordian Newsletter beginning with Issue 1, 1986. I forget the page count, but I believe it is over 500 pages of Concordia history. — $75 each to cover copying charges— If you're interested, just let me know.

Thank you all for your kindness and support over the years, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!