Home Projects Services Yacht Sales Stockroom History Yawls Contact

The Concordian

Issue #30, Fall 2000


It's the last week of October, the weather is crystal clear and wann, the winds fair, and it seems premature to be committing the boat to winter storage when the sailing is at its best! Then again, I also remember years shoveling snow off the deck and motoring over to the Travelift in snow squalls, so I guess it's appropriate that all good things come to an end (for a few months).

Issue #30
You'll find a variety of information in this issue of the newsletter and a listing of owners with updates made since last spring. If you know the whereabouts of any missing owners, please let me know and don't hesitate to send along corrections:

Newsletter Information
Many of you have not submitted information to the newsletter for a number of years and I hope it's because you're busy collecting your thoughts and photos for the spring issue! Ifyouhaven'twrittenforawhile,letusknowwhatyou'vebeenuptoandhowyour pride and joy is faring in her advancing years.

Your fmancial support of the newsletter is appreciated and for this issue we will once again be in the black. We run a pretty tight bottom line and your subscriptions of $10 a year and purchases of burgees and Concordia jewelry help us stay in print. Please make your checks payable to Skip Bergmann, 170 Walker St., Falmouth, MA 02540.

New owners
A number of boats have changed hands over the last year and there appears to be a ready market for good boats. It also appears that some of the more tired examples are finding new homes and to date I don't know of any boats that have been forsaken.

Have a Good Winter!
Best to you and your crew and thanks for your continued interest in Concordia Yawls! I look forward to hearing from you for the Spring 20011 issue.


Concordia Company, Inc.

Brodie MacGregor, Padanaram, MA

I have looked over the keelbolt article and the procedure here is still the same and describes the methods developed here over the years. (Also see keelbolt article on page 8). It looks like we may have one or two to do this winter and we will let you know ifwe come up with any refinements.

We are planning for around 12 Concordia Yawls at the yard this winter with the usual wide range of structural and cosmetic upgrades.

#Boat NamePriceState
21StreamerSold, pending surveyNY
35Memory$100,000 (?)MA
40White Wave$69,000MA

Brodie MacGregor can supply additional information about these boats. Reach him at 508-999-1381 or E-mail [email protected].

Concordia Web Page

Some owners have expressed interest in starting a comprehensive Web page for Concordia information. The page would be a resource like the newsletter to provide information on the boats and could be developed into a chat page.

Brodie's daughter, Alison Barth, is planning to work on such a project as an enhancement to Concordia Company's page. She can be contacted at [email protected]

Pam Parker also has plans to begin working on a page this winter, so there is definitely interest among the Concordia family. Pam can be contacted at [email protected] (see Portunus #75 article).

Perhaps Pam and Alison will work together on this project and would no doubt welcome the input of anyone else. At some point we may also see about putting the newsletter online.

New Owners

This list may be incomplete, but will give you an idea of how active the Concordia market has been over the past 18-24months. If you are a relatively new owner and we missed you, my apologies.

#Boat NameOwnerLocation
2MALAY IRichard DzedzejCharleston, SC
4TEMPONew Owner 
12ABSINTHEAlex KuliCastine, ME
13PHALAROPETom AshtonChester Springs, PA
14SAXONRon and Pam CooperEliot, ME
17ACTAEA*Tony HarwellDel Ray,FL
25WILD SWANDave SmithWeston, CT
27SARAH*David & Margo GeerSt. Augustine, FL
29FEATHER*Jeffrey BoalStamford, CT
36MAGIC*Elizabeth LamintinaDecatur, GA
37YANKEE*James CosgroveLiverpool, NY
39SAKALASteve Kratovil & Peter SharpNew York, NY / Providence, RI
45LOONStephen & Bonnie SimonOxford, MD
49MOONFLEETChuck DelamaterNew York, NY
62THISTLEDOWNJean C. BectonEnglewood, NJ
68DESPERADORich UhligSummit, NJ
76SUMATRAStewart MacDougallSanta Barbara, CA
86DAME OF SARKStephen DonovanCincinnati, OH
92SAVU*Peter Sharp & Steve KratovilNew York, NY / Providence, RI
*Denotes 41


Actaea #17

Tony Harwell, Del Ray, FL

I've had my current boat for six years and have rebuilt most of it thinking this is going to be the boat that I will start my adventures with. Little did I know that it was in such need of work. Well, I've paid for my education ever since, every single weekend for six years.

Now that I have it almost ready to go, I meet a gentleman that tells me about a Concordia that might be for sale. You probably thought that the one I am fixing up is a Concordia. No, it's a 1951 Hinckley Sou'wester 34. It's a good boat and sails like a dream, but could never compare to a Concordia.

Anyway, I went to look at this boat and saw it was in pretty bad shape, but structurally sound and mostly needed cosmetics. It had some rot in the cockpit, and some worm damage in some planks and was leaking pretty bad. In fact it sank at the dock a couple of times prior. I took it upon myself that day to plug the leak with a piece of cotton rag I had in my trunk and the leak slowed down quite a bit. So that day I contacted the owner to see if it was for sale and to my amazement it was.

After talking to the owner a couple of times and looking at the boat several more times, we agreed on a price. Now I have two wooden boats, one in the water (Concordia) and one out of the water (Hinckley), and since I am not a man of well means financially, one could assume that I am crazy.

Concordia #17 Actaea

As I work on the Hinckley I get breaks waiting on glue to dry or something else and promptly start doing something on the Concordia, Actaea. I'm dying to start on it 100% ofthe time but can't because of my commitment to finish the Hinckley, which I will then sell. It should sell fast with all the work that has been done. It's a strong boat with all new laminated frames, new floors, a new teak deck that looks great, and all new from the shear plank up.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and if anyone can give me any plans or pictures of Actaea's original construction I would appreciate it.


Oriane #34

Ted Danforth, New York, NY

We had less of a sailing season, like a lot of sailors on the East Coast, than we might have wished. Nevertheless, we managed to do some eight hundred miles, back and forth between Oyster Bay (Long Island) and Osterville (Cape Cod) this season. Multam in parvo, I guess you could call it. We had thought of taking Oriane to the Caribbean for the winter and are still thinking of doing it next winter.

Concordia made a couple of small modifications to the boat last winter that have proved to be good ideas. The first was to install a small pump in the icebox sump that obviates having to empty the sump by hand; the second was to connect the forward water tank to the galley pump, which allows us to utilize that water for more than brushing teeth.

This winter we are planning to fabricate and install a companionway hood and forward air scoop (the only pieces of original equipment missing) and prepare her for going offshore. We are thinking about installing the Seafrost system, so it was interesting to read about the installation on Raka.

I read an interesting book this summer, Erskine Childers' Riddle of the Sands, set in the islands and sandbars off the mouth of the Weser River, where the Concordias were built.


Concordia Burgees and Jewelry

Holiday gift giving is just around the comer, so it's time to treat yourself or a friend to a new Moon and Stars burgee! Blue and white, heavy nylon, these 16" x 24" burgees are really sharp and still only $35.

Concordia burgee jewelry in blue and white on "gold" is also still available.

Tie tacks and pendants are $8 and earings (for pierced ears) are just $16.

Please make your check payable to Skip Bergmann, 170 Walker Street, Falmouth, MA 02540.


Yankee #37

James Cosgrove, Liverpool, NY

Yankee (ex Saqqara, Kestrel, Windoon II, and originally Windsong) now makes her home at Henderson Harbor on eastem Lake Ontario, where she just completed her first season in fresh water. I became her proud owner in February at Northport, ME after searching over a period of several years for "the right" Concordia. She has far surpassed my expectations.

Over the past summer, at her new mooring and wherever we have ventured, her spectacular lines have prompted warm words of praise and requests to board for a closer look. Many fellow members of the Henderson Harbor Yacht Club have enjoyed a personal tour of Yankee, inevitably bringing expressions of wonder and admiration of her many refinements and construction detail. I believe she is the only Concordia on Lake Ontario and one of three on the Great Lakes.

Yankee is a joy to sail. She perfonns like a greyhound in a fresh breeze. Usually she is sailed single-handed, flying her main, mizzen and self-tending jib with ease. On one broad reach up the bay I hoisted the mizzen staysail with little effort, adding a fourth sail to a single-handed, aftemoon's passage. With an able crew of three on a bright June day, we first .flewher big spinnaker on a memorable run to Sackets Harbor. We're already planning to occasionally race Yankee in area regattas next summer, now that we have more experience under our belts.

The debut of this superb classic on Lake Ontario has won her many new friends and admirers. But while some in the Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau set profess admiration for Yankee, how often I hear their revealing "wooden boat . . . 'lotta work" qualifier that must necessarily follow -- a caveat I have learned to understand.

Having owned only wooden boats for more than 30 years, I wouldn't have it any other way, especially now that I am privileged to be owner, caretaker and steward of Yankee, I hope for many years to come.


Sumatra #76

Louisa & Stewart MacDougall, Santa Barbara, CA

Sumatra has sailed up and down the California coast this summer logging a thousand miles of azure blue Pacific water under her keel. Our favorite cruise destination has been from Santa Barbara to our mooring in Moonstone Cove, Catalina. The mooring is in an open roadstead nicely protected from the aftemoon westerly breeze blowing down between the Califolnia coast and Catalina Island. Moonstone Cove is a few miles to the west of Avalon Bay and the outstation of the Newport Harbor Yacht Club. When moored we can see 50 feet down to the sandy bottom below our Concordia and at night have sweet dreams knowing we are safely tied to our mooring lines. The sea temperature has been 70 degrees this year, so swimming and snorkeling are our big activities.

Sailing 90 miles farther west, thought by many as north, to Santa Cruz Island from Catalina is close hauled and the seas steep. It took us 22 hours to sail to the east end of Santa Cruz, but once anchored down in Smuggler's Cove you have the island to yourself and can enjoy natural flora and fauna. Santa Cruz is as big as Nantucket, but with only five or six houses built in the interior. We explored all the sheltered coves along the lee side of the island, making anchor each night. I will explain more about this wonderful island in a later article.

Sumatra performed beautifully in all the Pacific conditions, following in the footsteps of her sistership, Dame of Sark, which we sailed several years ago from Mexico to San Francisco, also stopping in Catalina and Santa Cruz.

Concordia owners! Truck your boats to California and expelience the clear blue Pacific! It's October and we are ready for another tide down the channel to Catalina.


Sarah #27

Margo and Dave Geer, St. Augustine, FL


It's September of 1997 and my husband, Dave, and I are in Newport, Rhode Island, sailing aboard Bob Tiedemann's beautiful 12-meter, Gleam. Surrounded by Newport's stunning collection of breathtaking boats, sailing in waters fit for the Gods, and rubbing elbows with folks who'll happily spend hours discussing the merits of varnish, I've just about decided that if there's a Heaven, then it must be something like this.

We're on our way back to the dock at the Museum of Yachting when beside us glides the most exquisite boat I've ever seen. Finished bright from her waterline to her masthead, she's glorious! I grab my camera to take a picture, but I'm out of film. I watch her until she's out of sight, but my disappointment that I couldn't even get a picture of the most beautiful boat I've ever seen clouds the remainder of the day.

The next afternoon included a stop at IRYS and low and behold, what is at the dock but the beautiful boat from the day before. It's Renaissance and up close she's EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL! I make up for yesterday's loss by taking a half-dozen pictures. At some point Dave explains it's a Concordia and, in the patient way that husbands do, goes on to add that he doesn't know why I'm having such a fit because there's one just like it at our marina. "A boat like this at our marina, underneath my very nose? I think NOT," I reply, as only a wife who's sure she's right can insist.

Imagine my chagrin when we retumed to Florida and not only at our marina, but on the very next dock sat a Concordia. Not exactly Renaissance though. Comparing this one to the bright-finished yacht was like looking at a photograph and then looking at its negative. The Concordia in our marina had been painted white from bow to transom. Mast, mizzen, cowl vent to cockpit coaming, she was white on white. Shape is shape though, beauty is beauty, a Concordia is a Concordia, and I admired her at every opportunity. I don't think I got around to mentioning it to my husband, but I decided pretty early on that if I ever saw the owner come down the dock, I intended to finagle my way aboard and most likely make an offer on the spot.

I never saw the first sign of life on the boat and, fortunately or unfortunately, we changed marinas in May of 1998. The Concordia was, fortunately or unfortunately, out of sight and out of mind. That changed abruptly on June 26th of this year.

I had just come home from the office and kicked off my high heels when Dave called me from his cell phone. He was down at the yard at our old marina and after a couple of idle minutes of chit chat, said the words that matter most, "The Concordia's hauled out. She's going to be sold."

"Oh," was the best I could manage. I concentrated on taking deep breaths while he filled me in on what he'd heard about her and what he'd learned at the yard. Finally, in the calmest voice I could muster, I asked him, "Should I just come down?"

"If you want," was all that he could manage.

In one simultaneous move I hung up the phone, grabbed shoes and car keys, and slammed the door behind me. We live less than a mile from the marina and when I pulled in next to Dave's car, I found him standing beside a ladder. "Have you been up yet? What does she look like?" I asked.

"I waited for you, so you could be first aboard," the most wonderful husband in the world answered.

Somewhere between the car and the ladder I'd shed my high heels and put on my deck shoes, so I gathered up my skirt and up the ladder I went.

Scanning the deck, my first impression was that she looked good. No obvious problems. I climbed over fenders and lines piled in the cockpit and crouched on what I now know to be the bridge deck. The hatch boards were out and the companionway cover partially open. However, as I looked below, my breath caught in my throat and my eyes filled with tears. The cabin was in absolute disarray. Cabinet doors hanging open or missing, cushions scattered, sails pulled out, coach roof black with mildew. The floorboards were scattered and black, oily water reflected back at me from the bilge. As I gingerly made my way forward across the floor frames, my emotions whipsawed from rage to heartbreak. As expected, the head took my breath away, but in the fo'c's'le, the smell of male cat at least overpowered the smell of wet moldy bedding.

I can't recall what I said, but it certainly isn't plintable. My practical, and certainly less emotional, husband was giving a running commentary on what would clean up, what probably needed work, what we couldn't see, etc. I left him below and went to pace the foredeck. I was just enraged that a world existed where something as beautiful as this stunning boat could be allowed to fall into ruin. The emotion was similar to what you expedence when you see an animal hit by a car or an elderly person being mugged. It was intrinsic. We simply HAD to do something. Thankfully, the yard was closed and thus I was saved from making a real jerk out of myself.

(I have not to this day though, forgiven them for leaving her open to the elements and vandalism.)

Dave took a turn pacing the foredeck and I made my way back down the ladder and decided on her name. I picked a few barnacles off with my fingernail and made her a silent vow, "Pretty, we'll do something, I don't know what or how or when, but we'll do something."

We didn't talk about her too much, but I wasn't too surprised when Dave announced a few days later that he'd arranged to take out a loan if we needed it. For the next few weeks we alternated between not discussing her at all (so we wouldn't get our hopes up) and arguing over a name (Dave won). If one of us couldn't be found, our old marina was a sure bet.

One month to the day, July 26th, was "Sarah Day" and the sale was at noon. In addition to the law firm I work for, I have a boat cleaning and brightwork business and had work to do in a neighboring marina, so I took a private moment with her about 6:30 a.m. I like to think I'm fairly stable, but these boats, and Sarah in particular, just hit an emotional cord in me like a lightning bolt striking butter. As I stood there in the quiet marina, I laid my cheek against her hull and tears just streamed down my face and into her bilge. "Five and a half more hours Pretty. Just five and a half more hours. We're doing our best Pretty. We're trying so hard. We won't know 'til noon, but we're going to do our best." I guess I somehow got a grip, and when she drew first blood (I picked off one too many barnacles), I went on to work.

There was no shortage of last minute drama, but five hours and thirty-five minutes later she was ours!

The Here and Now

The first few days after the purchase, Dave spent every spare hour going over her inch by inch, but it was the following Saturday before I got to spend any "quality time" with her. I spent the entire day scrubbing away mildew, but oh what a good time Sarah and I had. I knew better than to start with an easy spot, but I just couldn't help myself. I poured a little Greased Lightening (my favorite anti-mildew weapon) on a rag and made a quick swipe over a section by the starboard port lights. Even the worst stains wiped right away, so up forward I went. Once or twice over every surface with Greased Lightening, then over every inch another two or three times with clean fresh water. Early in the "delusional phase" of the project, I thought I'd get her whole interior done in a day. Even planned to have some beer icing in the ice box for the husband. WRONG! Although I only made it through the fo'c's'l and the starboard side of the salon in eight hours, Sarah and I had a wonderful time and did some excellent bonding. By midday, the 100+ foot of hose I had running to the nearest water spigot was so heated by the sun that when I did her freshwater rinses, it was like giving her a warm sponge bath. I got in each crack, crease and corner, and she practically purred with pleasure.

Dave gets more done than I do, but there are entire weeks that go by when it seems we don't get anything accomplished. Dave has managed to get the engine pulled and it's out back by his shop. We started out sanding the bottom, and I don't know how many years of bottom paint are on her, but at least one of the layers is an epoxy that would bubble and gum up a high-dollar sheet of sandpaper in a split second if you didn't hold your mouth just right. Dave spent a couple of miserable days, and our friend, Becky, and I spent a full, hot, sunny, Florida day in protective suits and respirators before we finally abandoned the sanders and went to heat guns and scrapers. (It's a real friend that helps you sand bottom paint!)

As the saying goes, 'It's a deep subject for a shallow mind' and we're admittedly clueless when it comes to this boat. Maybe I should have titled this section 'Ignorance is Bliss.' At any rate, we have one really beautiful classic boat on our hands, and we're committed to doing our best for her. We don't mind the rather vertical learning curve or the hard work, and I'm and hand at throwing money away, but I just want to be sure that the things that we're doing are the right things for her and not causing any more damage. It would also be a nice change in policy to get things right the first time.

Our primary goal now is the gathering of information on this boat and Concordias in general so that we can keep our promise and do our best for her. I had my third good cry over her when we received Elizabeth Meyers' wonderful tribute to the Concordias, and I realized what an awesome responsibility we have. What we don't know is frightening.

No pictures accompany this writing because publishing a picture of her now, when she's at her worst, just doesn't seem sporting.

We'd love to hear from you. Our e-mail is [email protected]. If you would be kind enough to tell us the best things you've done, it would be greatly appreciated. If you'd let us in on your worst mistakes, it might keep us from doing the same darn thing.

Thank you so much for including us in the Concordia family.


Irene #103

Doug Cole, Bellingham, WA

Like most Concordians, spring started off for me with a whirlwind of maintenance. Over the past few years it was getting more difficult to get a long lasting, quality topside finish. It was time to start over, so we wooded the hull, both topsides and bottom, and worked things over with long boards and elbow grease. Four undercoats and two topside coats and we were ready for the season.

We used both Z-Spar gloss white #99 and #100 for the final topside coats. The bottom was green Woolsey Neptune. Brion Toss and his crew also spliced up a new gang of rigging, which fit perfectly.

Jonathan Goldweitz, skipper of Abaco, joined me for the Classic Mariner's Regatta in Port Townsend in early June. I wish we could repOlt distinguished results, but the handicapping system penalizes strong perfonnances from past years. Regardless, we had a wonderful time. It was also a pleasure to have an experienced Concordia sailor like Jonathan on board.

Our vacation cruise was in June. We departed Bellingham under dark rainy skies and gale warnings, heading north to Desolation Sound in British Columbia. The gloomy weather lasted three days until our arrival, when we were greeted with two weeks of perfect conditions. In recent years we found Desolation Sound came nowhere close to its theme of desolation, being ovellun with humanity - ourselves included - in the high season of July and August. But June was a pleasant surprise.

We had many anchorages to ourselves and at most, shared them with one other boat. For the first time since I cruised this area as a c1illd, we witnessed it as it was meant to be enjoyed, with lofty snowcapped peaks, plenty of quiet, and daily skinny-dipping. Margie noted that each anchorage had its own unique ecosystem Starfish in one, millions of jellyfish in another, loons or geese in yet another. The only constant was mosquitoes! It was one of the best cruises ever. We felt quite smug as we were willg- on-winging our way home past the hordes of Bayliners heading north.

The Pacific Northwest has a dozen or so major tidal rapids, some running 15 knots at springs. All can be transited at or near slack water. And in a Concordia, some can be run with up to 5 knots with the current. This year we knocked off one more, Skookumchuck Rapids, which drains Sechelt Inlet. This leaves us with only one to go, Nakwakto, the fastest of the bunch, which runs up to 19 knots and drains several hundred square miles of water in Seymour Inlet, an area only recently charted. This is our plan for next year's cruise. Regardless of the speed, we'll still plan our transit for slack water.

I am in the process of replacing Irene's original Westerbeke 4-107 with a new Westerbeke 40 hp 44A Four. While the 4-107 has been a reliable companion, it was beginning to require lots of nitpicky attention. The 44A will be 100 pounds lighter (412 lbs.), have a modem gearbox, be quieter and cleaner, and will provide a power source for mechanical refrigeration, which I hope to install one day. The reduction gear is 2.47:1 and the numbers point to a 16 x 14 two-bladed, fixed prop. As much as I'd love a low drag prop, all the choices would require reworking the rudder aperture. So for now, simplicity will suffice.

For the first time in a while, I had a visit with each local Concordian this year. Years ago we had been quite a social group with summer raft-ups and a midwinter dinner, but due to the current busyness of everyone's life, that has been dormant. Though some visits were brief, it's still rewarding to reaffirm our unique relationship. With two of our fleet offive Concordias currently on the market, the Pacific Northwest fleet could shrink to diminutive levels compared to times past.

New Keelbolts

(Don't leave the dock without them!)

Following the 50th Reunioun, Doug Cole wrote an article on keelbolt replacement for the Fall 1988 newsletter. At that time the oldest boat was 50, the youngest 22. Now the numbers are 62 and 34 and general thinking is that at 30 years it's wise to consider keelbolt replacement as a precautionally measure. Bolts replaced at 40 years and even earlier have been found to be almost totally wasted away.

The following article is essentially the same as the 1988 article and has been checked with Brodie MacGregor at Concordia and Peter Costa at Triad Boatworks. Both yards have extensive experience replacing Concordia keelbolts.


Concordias' iron keelbolts tend to decay in the area where they pass through the oak keel, a result of the acidity of the wood. A clear sign is weepage or leaking or from an unknown source or the entire bolt turning when the nut is turned.

When a boat comes in for keelbolt replacement, the hull is blocked up high so the bolts can be driven out the bottom of the ballast. If the ballast keel is not to be removed, it too must be blocked securely in order to have no movement or separation the keel plank.

In most cases the forward bolts are in the worst shape, so the process begins by boring a 1 1/2" hole in the maststep to gain access to the bolts beneath. The nut is backed off slightly and the gap between nut and backing plate is carefully measured. Outside, the 2" wood plug in the bottom of the ballast is removed and the bolt head located. Several heavy blows are delivered to the nut, sometimes with an impact hammer, and hopefully there is conesponding movement at the head of the bolt. If not, the bolt is broken and the head must be tapped from the bottom with a 5/16" thread and withdrawn with a slide hammer. This type of complication is incentive enough for early replacement. If the bolt is not broken, just keep hammering away, backing the nut off as the threads disappear.

The original bolts were metric and replacements are usually 1/2' dia forward and 7/8" dia aft. To accept these sizes the iron keel must be bored out to the next clearance size, 33/64" and 57/64". New bolts are usually made from T-113 stainless steel or Aqua-Met propeller shafting and surveyor Giffy Full recommends monel, due to its ease of machining and excellent non-corrosive characteristics.

After measuring for bolt length, the bolt ends are threaded and a nut welded on the lower end and formed to serve as the new bolt head. Often a slight taper is machined on the shaft of the bolt just below the head to help form a good seal when reinstalled. Cotton wicking is wrapped around the bolt below the head, loaded up with either a natural or Thiokol bedding compound, and driven home. The 3/4" stainless nut is torqued down on a 4" x 4" X 1/4" stainless steel backing plate.

Estimated labor? With problems, up to two carpenters per day, per bolt!

Ballast rust and scale is most efficiently removed by sandblasting and then the iron is faired with epoxy fillers and primer. Triad now uses a final coating called Ceram-Kote, a 2-part, epoxy/ceramic finish.


A sure sign of broken stembolts is weeping alongside the stem. The German bronze was heated and peened to form the bolt heads and it is the head that often breaks. Again, 30 years is a typical lifespan, but these are much easier to replace and the job can often be done in a day. It's apt to take almost as much time to empty the forward cabin of the owner's gear as it does to do the job.

The stem must be well supported and the bolts replaced one at a time, driving the bolt out from the inside and then replacing it with a 1/2" bronze caniage bolt, well wrapped with wicking and bedding compound. These bolts should be hand-tight.


Abaco #102

Jonathan & Dorothy Goldweitz, Stamford, CT

I usually write to the Concordian as we sail back to the boatyard for winter storage. Yesterday afternoon we had a lovely October 1st sail and hope to have many more good days before calling it quits for another season.

After launching and commissioning Abaco this past spring the weather and other obligations kept her on her mOOIingmore than usual. Fortunately, two events that kept me from sailing her more were the Newport-Bermuda Race aboard a J-120 and a wooden boat regatta in Port Townsend, WA with Doug Cole aboard Irene.

The Port Townsend trip included four days of Pacific Northwest cruising to reach the regatta and return, and two days of racing under sunny skies with snow-covered mountaintops viewed in three different directions. I am sure Doug will report on pertinent details of the racing (low key, but challenging and fun), but for me the opportunity to again (third time) sail on a magnificently maintained Concordia Yawl in an area of unparalleled natural beauty was nothing short of spectacular. Unfortunately, I did not bring as much success on the racecourse as Doug usually does when he crews on Abaca.

In July we joined the Stamford Yacht Club cruise, visiting favorite spots in Fishers Island Sound and eastern Long Island, then met the IYRS Classic Cruise at Mystic Seaport and sailed in company to Shelter Island, Fishers Island, Block Island and Newport. Sailing with a group of old commuters, power cruisers, gaff-rigged sloops, a 12-meter, a 94-foot Fife yawl and other Concordias was an experience beyond our expectations. We enjoyed the casual gatherings in the evenings, catching up with old friends and meeting many new ones. We definitely have this cruise on our calendar for next summer.

On the racing front we placed second (non-spinnaker) on the Stamford Yacht Club cruise and won the spinnaker class in the SYC Danish Friendship Race classic division and in the Pequot Yacht Club Classic Yacht Regatta.

Winter boat maintenance plans are mostly routine (subject to change after hauling and close inspection), but will definitely include a new mainsail and dodger.

We met several Concordia owners for the first time this season and also enjoyed meeting up again with many others.


Captiva #100

John & Laurie Bullard, New Bedford, MA

This summer we joined Concordias Abaco, Whimbrel and Sonnet for the IYRS Classic Boat Cruise at the end of July. The photo is of our Concordia raft at Champlin's on Block Island. That was our sole cruise for the summer, with the rest of our time spent sailing around Buzzards Bay.

In anticipation of Buzzards Bay becoming a No Discharge Area (effective August 2000), last winter we had Triad Boatworks install a holding tank. The tank fits athwartships up forward and is made of welded plastic, custom made to fit the space. The system is self-contained, but can be emptied overboard through a macerator when offshore.

The other major change for this year was restoring the cabin trunk sides from paint to brightwork.


New Life for an Old (Gray) Reliable

Tucked away behind the Dodge dealer in an alley by a body shop in Ridgewood, New Jersey is Van Ness Engineering. This small, unprepossessing shop has been turning out new and rebuilt Graymarine engines for the last 12 years.

Getting Started

Dave Van Ness is a confessed boat junkie who grew up around boats on the Hudson River and Long Island Sound; and to Dave, to be around boats was to be around Gray Marine engines.

"Graymarines are just something I've always known and gradually people learned that I had an interest and began saving parts for me. I worked on a few engines for filends and from that modest beginning a business was born."

Steady Demand For Gas Power

That business today has full-timers Jeff Sauerman and Sue Swartz to help Dave rebuild or build new (from scratch) over 100 engines a year, the majodty of them either Graymarines or Chris-Crafts headed for classic sailboats and mahogany runabouts. The Concordia fleet is of special interest, since Dave used to own #10 Praxilla.

"I am definitely partial to gas power," says Dave, "to me it just makes sense. The Concordias were designed for the Gray 4-112 and it takes little room, runs smoothly, is quiet and easy to work on.

"If someone is repowering, a complete engine (either rebuilt with new components or any entirely new engine) costs about $4800. This is about 1/3 the price of a diesel conversion, figuring engine cost and boat modifications. Concordias with our engines installed include Abaco, Praxilla, Starlight, Saxon and Wild Swan."

The Process

Engine blocks are first baked, blasted with steel shot to the bare metal, and then dye checked for cracks. Small rod ends are rebushed, lower ends resized, the crank twned, cylinders bored as required, hardened valve seats installed, and all internal parts replaced with new. The balanced engine is then test run with all accessories before final detailing.

"You've made boating a family affair again!"

. . . quipped one satisfied customer after spending too many weekends in the bilge trying to get back to the marina.

"People should enjoy their boats and not have to worry about the engine," says Dave. "It should be reliable like your car's engine, not something youhave to work on and worry about.

"All our engines are fully warranted for six months from the date of first installation and we very rarely have any problems. "


"We approach each engine as an engineering problem with the goal of constantly improving the old designs. Whenever we find a problem and create a solution that works, we incorporate that change in all future engines. One change that has really contributed to increased reliability is our switch to electronicignition."


Parts availability for the engines is almost limitless and Van Ness carries a full inventory, usually available for same day shipping. To walk around the parts room among brand new, 40-year-old blocks, heads, cranks, manifolds, Zenith carburetors and accessories a heady experience if you love engines.

The parts supply has been built over the years and Dave continually stops at boatyards to ask if there are old inventories for sale (he bought the inventory from the Concordia yard in 1990).

International Exposure

To call this small company a "rebuild shop" is a bit of a misnomer, for the engines are really restorations and can be found not only in the US, but also in Bermuda, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Canada and other spots around the world.

If your old 4-112 is on its last legs, talk to Dave about giving her new life to provide more years of reliable power.

Van Ness Engineering, Co.
252 Lincoln Ave., Ridgewood, NJ 07450


Harrier #30

Jesse Bontecou, Clinton Corners, NY

I am happy to report Harrier has fully recuperated from a winter of extensive surgery. As you may recall, last summer she came home from Newfoundland on a truck.

Well, the cause of the leak was a delamination of the scarf joint in the stem, which allowed unwanted movement of some planks at the stem. So, that was repau:ed and a small bronze fitting was installed over the stem and secured to the bronze floor frames to prevent any more delamination.

But further examination resulted in the following: 10 new planks; the keel dropped in order to through-bolt all the floors (these were secured with lags and were very tired); new keel bolts; 7 frames under the engine scarfed; new engine bed; new piece scarfed into the deadwood while it was removed; new ruder pintles/gudgeons; and about 2700 new fastenings.

When we started the work we had no idea she was m such tough shape. I guess 13 Bermuda Races, six Annapolis-Newport Races and many shorter races, to say nothing of 45 years of general wear and tear, had taken their toll.

However, she now looks great and all seems well. All the work was done at Conanicut Marine Services in Jamestown and we were in the water in early June.


Fleetwood #20

Kersten Prophet, Heikendorf, Germany

For me it's time to report another race success for Fleetwood. We sailed to third place in our class at the Classic Boat Regatta in Laboe. The race was very difficult to do for us because of very light wind, but the others had problems as well. Half of the group was not even able to finish in time. The boats with a large sloop rig had the best time under those conditions, so we were happy with a third and enjoyed the nice party after.

During summer vacation I had a 19 day trip to Bornholm, Copenhagen, Samso, and later another trip to Svendborg and Island Aero. 560 nautical miles and lots of interesting people along the way.

We have had a nice autumn here in the Baltic, with some fine sailing weekends. Fleetwood will be hauled November 4 and I plan to vanrish the interior this winter. It was not in the best shape when I bought her, but now, after five years use, it's high time to do something and I will start immediately after hauling.


Praxilla #10

Dom & Deb Champa, Fairfield, CT

Well, one more season aboard Praxilla is just about coming to an end (first week of October). The first half of our sailing season was great . . . the second half was filled with rain, but still better than daytime TV. Luckily, I chose the first half for our annual cruise.

But first ... the winter project. It was a long winter, made even longer by the fact that one of my jobs on Praxilla was painting the cabin overhead and trunk. The quote from my boatyard (which does great work but not at such great rates) was a few degrees north of what I was willing to spend. I thought to myself ... how hard can this be? ... about 260 hours later I realized how hard it could be. While taking considerably longer than I first thought, it actually came out great . . . (so my boatyard says). The yard did the rest of the heavy lifting and I was in the water by the end of April.

This year's cruise took us up Long Island Sound to Fishers ... then to Block Island over the Fourth of July where I and, it is said, over 1800 other boats spent a great weekend. From there it was a quick stop at Cuttyhunk and on to North Bay in Osterville.

For those of you considering spending time here at some future date, it is not the easiest location to get into. My depth gauge was reading four feet much of the ride into Cotuit Bay and then into North Bay. I guess Crosby cats draw considerably less than your average Concordia Yawl. Time the trip right or you will be spending more time there than you planned.

After Osterville it was of to Newport on what was I think one of the best sails I have ever had. Newport was Newport, but a pleasant change from the relative quiet of the trip thus far, then on to Stonington.

On my way into Stonington I passed Jonathan and Dorothy Goldweitz on Abaco on their way out to the start of a club cruise race. Rumor has it that they did indeed win the race. The option was to join me for drinks on Praxilla. From Stonington it was back home to conclude a great cruise.

The last half of the season was taken up by some racing. I crewed aboard Abaco in the Stamford-Denmark Race, where Jon won 1st in division and 7th overall. Then I raced Praxilla in the Pequot Classic Yacht Regatta, where the yawls had a great showing. Praxilla managed a 2nd place in Division II and Abaco took 1st in Division 1.

A couple of more weeks in the water and Praxilla will be headed back to Pilots Point for the winter.


Paramour #72

Skip Bergamm, Falmouth, MA

Summer 2000 has been a busy one for Paramour with 60 days off the mooring and more than 80 I different people out sailing. We mostly daysailed up and down the Elizabeth Islands with trips to Quicks Hole, Cuttyhunk and local picnic areas. It's now the end of October, we've enjoyed excellent fall sailing, and will be sad to see the boat hauled on the 28th.

Wooden Boat Show, Mystic CT

We began the year with a trip down to Mystic in June where Paramour was an exhibit for Triad Boatworks at the Wooden Boat Show. Over a three-day weekend we had over 250 people aboard, many of them old friends of Paramour who had sailed, raced, or worked on the boat over the past 40 years. It was great fun to hear old stories, learn more about her past, and to have people aboard who were excited to "finally see a Concordia," after reading about them for years.

Greg Nulk from Manchester Marine had his Concordia 39 Goldeneye tied up to the main stone dock just ahead of us, so people got to see both variations of the design.

Block Island and Cuttyhunk

We left Mystic on a very foggy Monday morning and finally lay alongside a dock in Noank until the fog lifted. We sailed to Block Island and spent the aftemoon touring the island and town on foot before returning to cook lobsters for dinner.

The next day we had a raucous 7-knot reach to Cuttyhunk in 20+ knot winds and large rolling seas on a beautiful day. The weather stayed beautiful, but by the next morning the wind abandoned us and we motored back to Quissett.

Teenage Sailing Program

Since acquiring Paramour in 1994, I have wanted to do some kind of a sailing program for young people and was able to do so this year.

The sailing classes run by Quissett Yacht Clubh ave been highly successful over the years, but some of us wondered if there would be student interest in moving beyond the 420s and both moving ahead to large boat sailing and moving back to a stronger foundation in basic seamanship skills. With the help of some adult friends, we sailed once or twice a week, working with 15 different teenagers and their regular instructors. We worked on basic navigation, marlinspike seamanship, weather prediction, rules of the road and, of course, sail handling and boat handling. We sailed in typical Buzzards Bay weather of 14-20 knots of southwest wind, but also had some drifters and one day with winds at 30, gusting to 37.

The students sailed the boat all the time, changed sails, sailed to the mooring, and generally did everything under our supervision. What we found was that we had a very competent group of sailors who were thrilled to move up to new challenges. We plan to continue the program next summer.

"That's my Dad's boat!"

In early September, Sally Brown was motoring into Quissett Harbor past Paramour and mentioned to her husband that her Dad used to have a boat just like that. When we sailed by and she saw the sail number, it turned out to be the very boat that her father, St. John Webb, had delivered to him brand new in the Spring of 1960! The next day we visited aboard and made plans to sail next summer when the Browns return.


Portunus #75

Pam Parker, Nobleboro, ME

Portunus' Mid-Life Physical

Our Concordia 39 Portunus is now 41 years old and, like many things that age, required an analysis of maintenance and repair needs to address the wear and deterioration that accompany a boat used regularly for that length of time. So, at the urging and facilitation of our good frend Arthur Brendze, Portunus underwent a thorough exam last fall.


The need for a careful survey was also advised to enable us to develop a plan for maintenance with our new yard, Benjamin River Marine (BRM) in Brooklin, Maine. On a brisk fall day between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I had the pleasure of spending about eight hours with Giffy Full learning buckets of things about my boat that I thought I knew so well.

As you all know, Giffy one of the most experienced marine surveyors on the East Coast and has, by his estimation, surveyed over 80% of the Concordia fleet, several multiple times. His breadth and depth of knowledge about these boats is amazing and by the end of the day my brain felt like a sponge that had been used and wrung out several times.

Giffy performed what he termed an "abbreviated" survey. He did not bother with the inventory required of many pre-purchase surveys and spent "less" time on areas than he normally does. According to him, a full survey of a 40-foot boat can take over 24 hours. I had prepared myself for the worst, having read about many of the hidden problems that often lurk under the surface of these graceful hulls.

We started on the outside of the hull and found the planking and deadwood to be in generally very good condition. I was excited by this first finding, but my excitement soon turned to concern as we checked her bottom fastenings. Not only were the screws corroded, but also many seemed to disintegrate before our eyes after we dug out the bungs. Being pretty trusting, I had not questioned the fact that she had not been refastened in my memory. But here we were looking at her original screws, or what was left of them. We moved on to the topsides with heavy hearts, feeling what we would find next.

To my relief we found her topsides to be in excellent shape for her age, the planking very sound, and the original canvas deck good for another five years or so. Although in need of stripping and refinishing, her topside brightwork seemed to be in good shape. In checking her aft ribs and floors, we found that her floor timbers aft of the rudderpost had been broken long ago and sistered, an event Giffy attributed to being run hard aground. Interestingly, John Dunbar, owner of BRM, later found that the floor timbers just forward of the rudder post were also cracked, and concluded that this all happened at the same time, probably in excess of 25 years ago. The more forward floors are almost totally inaccessible without the cockpit removed, but were visible at this time because we pulled the engine.

I was further relieved when we found that Portunus has suffered none of the rib de-lamination that has plagued a number of these boats. The rest of her timbers were found to be in excellent condition and Giffy said she was very structurally stable, as evidenced by her tight and pristine interior joinery. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. The rest of the survey noted the Westerbeke 401 badly in need of attention, spars that needed refinishing, and minor notes about the rigging.

Winter Work

Based on Giffy's recommendations, John and I set up an action plan with refastening being at the top of the list. This past winter Portunus had her bottom refastened (~3000 screws), her engine removed and thoroughly gone over, and her head replaced (not related to survey). The refastening was a pretty huge project, which John squeezed in by co-opting the spar shed as a makeshift, semi-heated space, a tight fit. One of the reasons for pulling the engine was Portunus' affliction for the past couple of years of "funky bilge syndrome," caused by an accumulation of oil/dust/gunk in the bilge under the engine. The engine had leaks and old fittings that needed to be repaired or replaced and received what we estimated was its first major service for a very long time.

The bilge is now clean enough to eat off and we have a new drinking water tank manifold and main salon tank lines to boot (this falls under the one-thing-leads-to-another process). I won't continue to bore you with the details of the work, but P splashed into the cold Maine water this spring with a smooth, tight bottom and a spiffy new topsides paint job.

Summer Sailing

Portunus spent the early part of the summer sailing around her usual haunts with Arthur Brendze, and then spent a month in Tenant's Harbor in the rain. So much for July and 1/2 of August. In September she headed Downeast to Passamaquoddy Bay and Campobello Island with my brother-in-law and his two brothers, all accomplished sailors.

Apparently there were many memorable moments on this trip, but one in particular impressed all aboard. I understand they were heading through the Petit Manan Channel pushed by a ~25 knot wind against tide and faced with a nasty chop. Tom, an Annapolis sailing team alumnus, was at the helm. Portunus, fitted with a single reef, working jib and jigger, leaned her shoulder into the sea and barreled along at 6+ knots, causing the very wet helmsman to wear an ear-to-ear grin for several hours. The rest of the crew was similarly very impressed with the old boat's sea handling ability.

This winter looks to have some spar refinishing, a holding tank, some new canvas and work on the tender, an easy winter compared to last. I hope to get another sail in before taking her back to BRM for the season, but that may not be possible.

Web Page

I hope to make a dent in the "old Concordia" web page this winter, a project that has been delayed but not forgotten. I envision it to be a non-profit resource for owners and aficionados, with discussions of topics of concern, and hopefully pages for all the 39s and 41s (maybe the 31s too). Any thoughts anyone might have on web page development or structure would be welcomed. (Also see article on page 2). Please e-mail [email protected]

I hope the newsletter finds all Concordias and their keepers well.


Sovereign #15

Dennis Gross, Olympia, WA

Sovereign is completed at last and she is now completely restored to pristine condition and for sale. I endeavored to make everything like new and if something wasn't right, replaced or fixed it to A&R standard. No expense was spared.

I am not selling the boat tluough a broker and can be contacted at 360-866-7991 or 7408 Manzinita, Olympia, WA 98502 for photos and a complete listing of the work done. A partial listing of work done and what's new follows:


Lazy Jacks -- A Simple Solution

Tired of having that big pile of mainsail Dacron falling on the deck and then having to manhandle it back up on the boom to furl? When you have a gang aboard to help douse sail it's no big deal, but when you're alone or short-handed, it's a real chore.

A variety of modern lazy jack systems are sold by rigging companies, but a simple system made with 5/16" and 1/4" line works fine on a Concordia.

This simple system entails putting a small cheek block on each side ofthe mast just below the spreaders, cleats at the bottom of the mast, and three eye straps on each side of the boom.

The advantage of the system is that it does not interfere with sail covers, since it is simply slacked off and all lines pulled forward and secured at the mast, once the sail is furled. If run under gooseneck reefing hooks, lines stay out of the way of everything.

Lazy jacks! A simple, old-time solution to make sailing alot easier and safer, especially if you have to douse sail in a hurry and keep it under control.

Measurements below are for a Concordia 41' with an 18-foot boom.

Lazy Jack

5/16" dia halyard A starts at base of mast, passes through check block B and terminates with a stainless steel thimble;

1/4" dia, 19 foot long aft line C starts at 154' eye strap location on boom, passes through halyard thimble and terminates with a second, lower thimble;

1/4" dia, 17 foot long line D starts at 30" eye strap location on boom, passes through lower thimble, and tenninates at 90" eye strap location on boom.

All lines pull forward to E at gooseneck, pass under reefing hook, lie alongside mast when sail is furled.

Braided line like Sta-Set works well.


Concordia Headsail Furling Gear

Graham Quinn, Harding Sails, Marion, MA

Over this past season we have been involved with the conversion oftwo Concordia Yawls to a roller furling headsail system. Many of the boats remain in their original configuration, but as the quality of the hardware available has increased, more and more owners are giving this upgrade a second look. If you are considering converting your boat, there are a few things for you to consider and a couple of issues unique to these boats that require special attention.

Pros and Cons

On the positive side, the installation of a roller furling headsail will make it a lot simpler for you to set and furl your headsail. No more hauling the Genoa up through the forward hatch, winching up the halyard, dropping and folding a large sail on the foredeck, and (to a large degree) no more changing of headsails for varying conditions.

On the negative side there are really only two significant issues. Firstly you do have to be willing to accept a less than traditional appearance and secondly there are some significant installation costs.


Once you have decided to go ahead, the first question you are faced with is which brand of unit to select. In our experience just about all of the major brands work fine. We recommend that you talk to your rigger or sailmaker to see if they have a preference, then do your own research and make a choice. Furling system manufacturers give excellent guidelines for size selection, but before placing your order make sure that the furling drum on the size recommended for your boat fits comfortably inside the pulpit. Also, you should consider how high you would like the drum to be off of the deck, bearing in mind that you will need some working room under the unit when anchoring and mooring.


Unless you have recently replaced your headstay, you should always plan on doing so when installing a new furling unit (some systems include a new headstay as part of the kit). Once the unit is installed it becomes very difficult to inspect the wire inside. Also, you should consider how high you would like the drum to be off of the deck, bearing in mind that you will need some working room under the unit when anchoring and mooring.

The system will likely come with a toggle on the bottom (this allows for freedom of movement at the point of attachment), but you should also make sure that you have a similar connection at the masthead.

If this is a first time installation, you will also need a lead line kit. This takes the furling line from the drum aft to a cleat in the cockpit. The assembly and installation of the system is pretty straight forward for an experienced rigger.

Determining Sail Size

The next step in the process is working with your sailmaker to determine what size your primary Genoa will be. In many cases it is possible to re-use an existing sail, but a full conversion can be a lot of work and expense, so be sure that the used sail is worth it. On the boats we worked on, the two owners each opted for a different size sail. One went for a 130% and the other a 150%. Because of the short J dimension of these yawl-rigged boats, a sail of a given percentage is comparatively smaller than a sail of the same percentage on a sloop-rigged boat. Just the same, you can employ a similar set of guidelines to help you make your decision.

Do you sail in a predominantly heavy or light air area? Are you willing to give up sail area so that tacking and trimming the sail is easier to accomplish? When you roller-reef the sail, how small do you want it to become and still be effective?

Once this is determined there are a couple of double checks you should make with your sailmaker before you give them the go ahead. Because of the tang system of stay and halyard block attachment at the masthead on these boats, the head swivel at the top of the sail cannot be hoisted all the way to the top of the furling gear extrusion. Sailmakers are accustomed to being able to take the length of the headstay, make deductions for the drumand head swivel, make an additional allowance for stretch, and then design and cut the sail. On Concordias an additional allowance has to be made at the top in order for the sail to fit perfectly.

One final thing to discuss is the height of the clew of your new Genoa. The long Genoa sheet tracks on Concordias will allow you a wide choice here. As the tack of the sail is now elevated 15"-18" by the furling drum, the clew will necessarily be higher than before. The higher the clew of the sail the better the visibility you will have underneath it, but it's possible to overdo this. Raising the clew means that the sail has to be sheeted further aft; but if it goes too far aft the lead of the sheet onto the winch can be improper, the perfonnance of the sail can be adversely affected, and some feel that the aesthetic appearance of the sail is not as pleasing.

Sail Conversion

If you plan to have a new sail made and also convert an old sail of a different size (usually a smaller jib) you may want to have U/V protection installed on both sails so that either can be left on the furling gear. Make sure that the two U/V covers are put on the same side of their respective sail. If this is not done you will have to rewind the line on the furling drum every time you make a sail change.

For owners of these lovely traditional boats the decision to install a modem piece of equipment like this is a difficult one, but we have yet to meet the owner who did it and then wanted to switch back.

Note: Graham Quinn is the owner and president of Harding Sails, Inc. with corporate headquarters in Marion, MA. He can be reached at 508-748-0334 or by E-mail at [email protected]


Upgrades and Improvements That Have Worked Well On Paramour


This past winter Triad replaced the institutional green Formica countertops on Paramour. Although these tops were practical, they just didn't fit in with the overall look of the interior.

The replacements were made from stable, foam core plywood, veneered with hard pine and stained to match the surrounding, aged pine bulkheads. The fit and finish are very pleasing to the eye and some of the tops were redesigned to be more practical. The opening behind the stove to access pans was widened and the lift-out piece to the right of the stove was split and double-hinged, so it can remain in place.


Installation of a new electrical panel and the elimination of the old house and cartridge fuses has been a rewarding upgrade.

Using a Bass Products template, I designed a panel layout and they did a great job of wiring and custom silkscreening. Circuit labels are backlighted, have indicator lights, and the panel has readout of amps being drawn and readout to check charge in either battery bank. The panel mounts outboard, aft of the stove in a space that was never used. The location is easily accessible, but virtually out of sight and unobtrusive.

The original battery box now houses two Trojan, Group 24 batteries, each 100 amp-hours, which are wired together to serve as one house battery. A third starting battery is in a plastic battery box mounted in the locker off the forward end of the cockpit on the port side, behind the removable panel.

This arrangement works well, for now I never have to wony about not being able to start the engine, as long as I run everything off the house bank when the engine is shut down. Charging is manually selected with a Perko battery switch for either bank or both, the panel readout letting me know which bank needs the juice.


Jeff Chase at Harding Canvas and Cushion in Marion made up new Sunbrella sailcovers to replace older, homemade ones that tied on and did not fit well. Zippers and Velcro flaps at the front and twist snaps along the bottom make for a neat appearance. Jeff also designed and made a new dodger that is much more attractive than the old one and good in wet weather.


With reliable electrical power aboard, I chose to install a Jabsco Quiet Flush electric head. The original Wilcox head was on its last legs and I tired of explaining its operation to new users or being surprised back at the mooring when putting the boat away that someone had not even asked. With this fixture you just tell people to push the Red Button.

I was hesitant to go with an electric replacement, figuring that if it failed I'd be stuck. But when the head breaks down, you're stuck whether it's manual or electric. The yard reported that ones they had installed had never failed, so I went ahead. I did most of the installation myself and it was straight forward, although a two-day project. Paramour has a walk through head and the household size bowl just fit behind the closed door.

The macerator discharge pump is part of the head and the rinse pump mounted easily on the hull ceiling in the outboard locker. The raw water line runs to the rinse pump, then up to a vacuum breaker and down to the bowl. The 3/4" discharge line from the head runs up to a vacuum breaker and then down to a discharge V-valve and 1 1/2" hose. Flow is routed forward to the holding tank or overboard if offshore.

A great system and definitely one of the best upgrades yet.

Sail Handling


Self-tailing Harken #16 bronze winches replaced the old Menimans for main mast halyards. One was also added at the forward end of the cockpit for the main sheet, with a brass chafe sttip added to the aft lip of the bridgedeck.

Paramour has always had a single-ended main sheet and a traveler with the sheet leading directly from the boom to a cleat, after going through the two bridle blocks on the boom. One season sailing with this new winch makes me wonder how we ever used to handle the sail on windy days.

The bridgedeck bulkhead is well over an inch thick, so we mounted the winch with three screws and just two through-bolts nutted down on a bronze plate inside. Although I was concerned that this location might be a real knee-knocker and generally inconvenient, it has not proven to be so at all.

I was able to purchase two used, bronze Lewmar 30 self-tailers to replace the original Merriman secondaries. These have been a big improvement in the ease and efficiency of handling spinnaker lines.

Roller Jib

I have thought about roller furling for the jib for years, but have held off due to a large inventory of good -- though very old -- headsails. Over the last year I acquired even more from someone who had already made the switch. However, a rough afternoon off Point Judith, alone on the foredeck, and a jammed headsail on a windy day off Block Island helped to convince me that the time had come.

Graham Quinn at Harding Sails made a 150% jib that rolls up on a Schaefer 2100 furler installed by Joe Mello of Rigging Only in Fairhaven. Although an 1100 system would handle this size sail, the 2100 allowed me to increase headstay diameter and use a 7/16" dia furling line. The system has proven to be efficient and failsafe.

Although 150% is usually large for a roller headsail, with a J measurement of only 13' 10", this size works well. In light air I miss the old 172% Genoa, but injust about evelY other condition the sail works very well. Rolled up to the fOlward lower shroud the sail still has good shape in 25-knot winds and in over 30 knots we have had it rolled even smaller, still with good results.


Concordia Owners

#Boat NameOwnerLocation
1JAVAInt'l Yacht Restoration SchoolNewport, RI
2MALAY IRichard DzedzejCharleston, SC
3HALCYONFrank WalkerEllsworth, ME
4TEMPONew Owner 
5DUENDECharles AdamsShelbourne, MA / ME
6TABAKEAPeter & Lynne KillhefferNorth Hampton, NH
7SUNDAYDavid CatlettWickford, RI
8PAPAJECCOSalvatore NicotraWest Haven, MA
9WHISPEROliver JonesAvon, CT
10PRAXILLADominic ChampaFairfield, CT
11WINNIE of BOURNEPeter GallantPortsmouth, NH
12ABSINTIIEAlex KuliCastine, ME
13PHALAROPETom Ashton Chester Springs, PA
14SAXONRon and Pam CooperEliot, ME
15SOVEREIGNDennis GrossOlympia, WA
16MAGGIE DUNNArmand SuttonAlameda, CA
17ACTAEA*Tony HarwellDel Ray, FL
18SPICE*Tom & Terry LairdBeverly, MA
19OTTER*Marshall ChapmanMorehead, KY
20FLEETWOODKersten ProphetHeikendorf, Germany
21STREAMERBarry LightNew York, NY
22HEROJim SibleyHaddam, CT
23STARLIGHTBen Mendlowitz & Deborah BrewsterBrooklin, ME
24NIAMJohn RyanPittsburgh, PA / ME
25WILD SWANDave SmithWeston, CT
26MARYANNRobert & Linda JonesBoothbay, ME
27SARAH*David & Margo GeerSt. Augustine, FL
28SAFARIDick & Lisa ZimmermannGloucester, MA
29FEATHER*Jeffrey BoalStamford, CT
30HARRIER*Jesse BontecouClinton Corners, NY / Newport, RI
31OWLVincent PanettaWellesley, MA
32MIRAGERic QuesadaSouth Freeport, ME
33SUNDAAlbert BrownSavannah, GA
34ORIANETed DanforthNew York, NY
35MEMORYBarry WilliamsEagle Nest, NM / Buzzards Bay
36MAGIC*Elizabeth LamintinaDecatur, GA
37YANKEE*James CosgroveLiverpool, NY
38NEFERTITI*John Williams CompanyMt. Desert Island, ME
39SAKALASteve Kratovil & Peter SharpNew York, NY / Providence, RI
40WHITE WAVELloyd MoultonMarblehead, MA
41SISYPHUSJack TowleE. Falmouth, MA
42MARGARETRobert HoveyFerndale, WA
43RAKARobert StuartHingham, MA
44LACERTAStephen LoutrelCarlisle, MA
45LOONStephen & Bonnie SimonOxford, MD
46KODAMAStewart McDougall & Denny DoyleSeattle, WA
47ARIADNECharles StoneDarien, CT
48HARBINGERLarry WarnerMarion, MA
49MOONFLEETChuck DelamaterNew York, NY
50JAKARTAPeter KieleySouth Hampton, MA
51VINTAGEJohn FoleyPort Townsend, WA
52BANDA*Peter GottlundKutztown, PA
53BEAUTY*Leo T. ChylackDuxbury, MA
54HORIZON*Bob & Valerie GrindrodBarrington, ME
55KIVADouglas HoffmanFairfield, CT
56WHISPERGeorge & Karyn HenschelBedford, NY
57JAVELINW. Mason Smith IIICambridge, MA
58OFF CALLPeter CastnerBoxford, MA
59SNOW BIRDGuilliaem Aertsen IVBoston, MA
60PRINCIPIA*Bruce FlennikenCambridge, MA
61TAM O'SHANTERDavid SouleMarblehead, MA
62THISTLEDOWNJean C. BectonEnglewood, NJ
63SONNET*James D. BrownSyosset, NY
64LIVE YANKEENichols & GruberGreen Lane, PA
65GOLONDRlNAJohn EidePortland, ME
66MISTYTom McIntoshLong Grove, IL
67CROCODILEEdgar CrockerChestnut Hill, MA
68DESPERADORich UhligSummit, NJ
69HOURIJohn ChatfieldMt. Kisco, NY/ME
70IRIAN*Darrow LeboniciSalem, MA
71POLARIS*Kenneth BrittleRichmond, VA
72PARAMOUR*Skip BergmannFalmouth, MA
73TOSCADr. G.N.W. FitzgeraldSt. Anthony, Newfoundland
74WIZARDAnderson & DaneSouth Dennis, MA
75PORTUNUSJudy & Pam ParkerNobleboro, ME
76SUMATRAStewart MacDougallSanta Barbara, CA
77MALAYDaniel StrohmeierSouth Dartmouth, MA
78MATINICUSAlan ShapiroMarblehead, MA
79WESTRAYJ. Thomas FranklinWatertown, MA
80GOLDENEYEGreg & Darlene NulkSalem, MA
81ENVOLEEClaude EngleGibson Island, MD
82CORIOLIS*Douglas & Susan AdkinsSeattle and Orcas Is., WA
83CHRISTIERichard RobieMarblehead, MA
84SNOW FALCONGeorge GansLouisville, KY/ME
85ARAPAHO*William J. LynchBoston, MA
86DAME OF SARKStephen DonovanCincinnati, OH / MA
87ALLUREBen & Anne NilesSouth Freeport, ME
88RENAISSANCE*Charlie MilliganBoston, MA
89WOODWINDGeorge HartmanBethesda, MD
90FABRILEDavid GodineMilton, MA
91SHIMAERARobert J. SnyderStonington, CT
92SAVU*Peter Sharp & Steve KratovilNew York, NY / Providence, RI
93EDEN*Gerald & Lark MilletBoston, MA
94KATRINA*Jan W. RozendaalSouth Burlington, VT
95BOOTS*Earle & Denise MaxwellNew Orleans, LA
96WHIMBREL*Peter MimnoMarblehead, MA
97TAMBOURINEDavid & Barbara WheatBoston, MA
98MADRIGAL*Robert BassConcord, NH
99PORPOISEDavid PalmerWindsor, CT
100CAPTIVAJohn & Laurie BullardNew Bedford, MA
101SEA HAWK*Reginald ButlerMarblehead, MA/ME
102ABACOJonathan & Dorothy GoldweitzStamford, CT
103IRENEDouglas ColeBellingham, WA
104Under ConstructionMark WebbyWhangerei, New Zealand